Good movie or series to watch?

Hello all,

Not sure if it is related to subs, or the lockdown but I havent watch a movie in a long while. I have a Netflix subscription but my girlfriends use it and I have no clue of what’s cool right now. TBH my last movie is a 1999 movie called Lake Placid, up to now I am not sure if it is an horror movie or a smart spoof.

Yesterday, I have started again watching the tv series Lie to Me with Tim Roth, based on Paul Ekham work on facial micro expressions. Basically Tim Roth is a micro expression expert who lead a firm that decode body language in crime related stories. Quite fun so far.

I checked the forum so I am surprised there isn’t a movie recommendation thread yet :thinking:

Feel free to share some good movie / tv serie. Whatever genre, myself I am a big horror movie fan even old-olders ones (like this one Invisibile Man (1933)).

4 Likes

Medici: Masters of Florence well with house of medici.
billions goes well with eog
limitless goes well with limitless

10 Likes

Lie to Me was a great show I thought

Non sub specific-
I’ve really enjoyed Dragon Dota and Invincible lately

Also really liked Cursed, The Magicians, Lucifer. The Witcher (great example of Emperor Vibe IMO)

For comedy and general fun, and decent education, with sex and humor mixed Big Mouth and Sex Education, Pen15 is supposed to be great to but have not seen that.

Black List is great for PCC (Raymond Reddington character) although the show gets old and repetitive a few seasons in-still enjoyable but fair warning.

4 Likes

Lucifer, I wanted to like it but it was too soap for me (I think season 1).

Haven’t watched yet, but keep on hearing lots of good stuff about it, even here. The universe looks quite deep, is he like a Conan the Barbarian or Hercules kind of hero? Or something else completely?

1 Like

I could see that- it goes in and out of being soapy- the netflix pick up made it a bit better

he’s basically a person bred with magic and training and potions and stuff from a very early age to be able to fight monsters. His strength, skills, reflexes are clearly not human, and he has some magic.
Basically what I hope the new Hero sub will do lol

Lie To Me, what an amazing show. Years ago, I was so fascinated by the Doctor’s work that I ended up getting that training program you see them using on the show to practice.

Did you watch Penny Dreadful? I am now watching X-Files, but having a difficult time getting hooked on to a series. Recently finished Supernatural and after 15 seasons, it just leaves some kind of hollowness lol.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, one of my favorite movies. It has a lot of symbolism, mysticism and teaching of the unconscious mind. Very entertaining.

Vampire’s Kiss is a recent movie that I enjoyed; starring Nicholas Cage in his young days

Hmm… Horror… Inception, The Trueman show, Machinist, Butterfly Effect and Vanilla Sky, all creep me out if I dwell on them for too long. Not horror by default, but the “what if” opens up that kind of door.

1 Like

he he he X-Files is old but fun, not sure if there is a point to follow the whole seasons because I think the writers got lost in the story somehow, but I found one episode here and there is always fun.

• Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
  • Vampire’s Kiss

Thanks, I will queue these two they look fun.

1 Like

I think Paul Ekman had commentaries on each episode at this website.

In terms of old horror movies, you could see what Svengoolie has been playing. I think he just played the Invisible Man a month or so ago.

Some others to look at:
Twilight Zone (original series)
Outer Limits (the series from the 1990s I think got awards)
Night Gallery (series)
Fail Safe (1964)
4D Man
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
The Golem (1915 or 1920, I can’t remember which, maybe both)
Colossus The Forbin Project

That should keep you busy man!

2 Likes

Lol I havent yet gone back before 1930. This gonna be fun Thanks

Great suggestion everyone :smiley:

Deathgasm is a great movie to consider, a horror with metal theme.

Train to busan; the original one. A Korean horror. So expect some melodrama :wink: It felt like a resident evil Movie. Can’t remember which RE in series, one within a train, 0 I think. A definite watch if you haven’t seen it yet.

You know your :poop: :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

@Psiklou

Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

Dr. Caligari (1989)
Lair of the White Worm (1988)

The Last Man on Earth (1964)
The Omega Man (1971)
Them! (1954)

Vampyr (1931) [watch for the camera angle that is inside the coffin looking up through the glass window of the coffin towards the sky]

Also Vincent Price did a number of horror movies.

Fritz Lang has a few movies to keep you busy

4 Likes

Mayans MC - I just started the show. May have to watch Sons of Anarchy though as well.

A bit hilarious watching this because I am not a biker but I have had so many people automatically assume I am

2 Likes

For TV series… Westworld is just about the best I’ve personally seen in years. Season 1 is my favorite as it focuses so much on unpacking the mythos of the world. Seasons 2 and 3 are more about the events that followed the climax of Season 1.

Also enjoying Falcon & Winter Soldier right now, but that isn’t on Netflix. Neither is Westworld, for that matter… oops.

2 Likes

I followed the first season and the whole thing was great. Funny to consider that this was a reboot of a 80s movie. Didnt follow up on the other seasons because I am not sure how you can finish a story like that because the universe could be so deep (like Matrix 1 vs the 2 and 3).

Watched the first episode, he should have killed everyone in the village just for the sake of it!

1 Like

hahah- but he’s not a monster :slight_smile: I love that first fight scene

2 Likes

yeah he is not a monster… But with all his power I would just have killed the magician!

2 Likes

The story gets so much deeper in seasons 2 & 3… also even darker lol.

When we watch stuff like that, we also balance it out with lighthearted comedy like Brooklyn 99 and Modern Family. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

A really slept on tv series was Legion. If you like trippy, weird, interesting cinematography.

Also Mr.Robot. That show is easily the best thing I’ve watched to date. Highly recommend it.

2 Likes

The original movies:

Westworld

and its follow up: Futureworld

1 Like