Main Disc. Thread - Project Solace Public Test

Most likely the original since I think they’re still testing.

1 Like

I put in my notes for my most recent custom “latest version of solace” and it’s hard to tell the difference between the one I received and the original one. It may be the same. Or it may be slightly tweaked. Hard to tell tbh

1 Like

Do you have a concern about your order? How can we help?

No concerns at all! Just commenting that it’s hard to discern if there’s an audible difference between the original solace mask and the one I received in my custom. It’s all good.

1 Like

The new Solace mask isn’t done yet. The Experimental is the one being included with Q orders.

2 Likes

Thank you for clearing this up Saint. The prototype works great so I can’t imagine how nice that finished product will sound.

2 Likes

Surprise public test for Solace [B]! It’s an early version, with much tweaking to do, but we’ve always had great success working with the community, so I decided to just see what everyone thought.

First things first:

Solace [A] (the “experimental”) will still be available via Q for the time being. We’ll be setting it up as an official mask option within the next few days (maybe much sooner). It will cost extra (we’re now getting charged for using the apis) and we’ll let everyone know what that price is once we’ve calculated it. We’re NOT trying to make profit from Solace, only cover the costs of the API (which, admittedly isn’t incredibly cheap).

As for the test:

We’re open to hearing from everyone, but we’re particularly interested in hearing from those who have the Apple Airpods Pro. For those who do have a pair, test in all three modes: “Off,” “Noise Cancellation” “Transparency Mode,” and report back.

For those who are listening on other headsets, PLEASE note what headset / earbuds you’re using if you want your feedback to be included in our official research.

Remember, Solace [B] is about enhancing the listening experience, so PLEASE listen at 35-60% volume. It’s NOT meant for loud listening, so yes, we know this file is quieter than you’re used to. This is the setting I’m using on my MacBook Pro that’s paired to my Airpods Pro. If you’re listening on speakers, you may need to turn it down a bit lower to 40% or so.

Keep in mind there’s a weird bug that can occur when you pair your Airpods to a Macbook Pro. This bug makes all audio sound grainy and lo-fi. If this occurs, see if you have any programs running that’s listening for audio through the microphone, like Skype or Discord. If you do, go into the settings of that program and change the microphone setting from the Airpods Pro to the microphone on the Macbook.

https://solacetest.s3.amazonaws.com/Solace+(B)+Test.mp3

There’s no underlying subliminal in this test. We’ll take the feedback into consideration, then release a Solace [B] test using one of the newer titles. All thoughts are welcome.

10 Likes

The track sounds more incredible than the previous one. Its sad that the little chirping bird didn’t make it to the cut. Will it still be included in the credits :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Sounds great on Beats Flex. I think I hear wind in it? Instead of birds

1 Like

It’s a feature of most Bluetooth earbuds/headphones due to the technical limitations involved when having to manage audio channels for both input and output.

I for one am glad it’s gone! Will post thoughts later.

2 Likes

It sounds really good. So smooth. I listed at 44% on an iPhone X speakers

1 Like

Borrowed Apple AirPods Pro 44% volume

I’ll rank the best listening experience for me

1. Noise Cancellation
  2. Off
  3. Transparency

I wouldn’t listen to this mask without Noise Cancellation mode. The other modes were not as enjoyable as NC. I was transported to a beach with light rain with my toes in the sand lol.

3 Likes

I use Sennheiser Pro. It is really great, I felt surrounded totally by the sea, immersive experiment !

1 Like

(Listened on AKG K72 and again on Status Audio CB-1 (better quality))

Sounds significantly different from Solace A.

It’s not as quiet and empty. A bit busier and more diverse. Feels kind of halfway between Solace A and the original masking sound (well closer to Solace A, but somewhere in the middle). Solace B–this one–has nice internal dynamics (soothing increases and decreases of loudness).

Some of the sweeping wave sounds introduce a hissing quality in the high-end. I notice that the hiss corresponds to when the waves flow onto the land (that’s how I’m picturing it), before they ebb back out to sea.

This one does not have the isolated tinkling water sound from Solace A. That one gave my ears a pleasant almost tickled feeling, but it also made some people want to pee. So…

I like the subtlety of this Solace B. I also like the natural, organic feeling of this one in comparison to the current mask. It really evokes an environment.

I’d be happy with it.

2 Likes

Listened to AudioTechnica MH20x (Headphones) and Sennheiser CX300S Earphones.

Personally, I like Solace A more, especially due to the animal sounds. That jungle feeling had me hooked.

Solace B seems to be more of the “ocean” part with the waves. They work well, and I can imagine listening to it for hours, although it’s definitely more “noisy” than A. Which is a negative imo. But I guess it’s necessary to get more info into the mask.

The sound itself seems fine. I am not getting any weird noises or issues from it. It’s clear there is trickling water and waves.

Still, personal preference would be A. But B works just fine with those headphones mentioned.

(How about different mask themes for the future? Jungle, Waves, Rain & Thunder, Chimes & Bowls, etc? :smiley: )

4 Likes

I’d appreciate if Solace would be an optional mask in the future, as you seem to indicate here. I actually like Solace better than the current standard mask per se. But I sometimes listen to Subliminals while at the same time listening to a podcast or music on the same iPhone via the AudioShare app and my concern is that Solace might be too subtle for this.

Anyway, I own Wanted and I’m still testing Solace with my podcast/Music setup.

Edit: Agree with Malkuth that Solace B seems to be in the middle between A and current standard in terms of subtlety, so might mitigate my concerns.

2 Likes

Using Sony WH-1000XM4.

Waves have always been my favorite masking sound, so I love the new mask.

I prefer Solace A when passively listening or listening at the same time as listening to music, since it’s less intrusive. But Solace B would be great when “actively” listening to a sub while meditating on it with no other external stimuli.

Noise cancelling mode: perfect for meditating, the mask sounds are crisp and clean and immersive, I like both this and Solace A equally
Off: Still good, but a low background hum in my environment coming through reduced the feeling of immersion, as some of the subtler sounds were less perceptible. Better than Solace A since it provides a better white noise effect to reduce intrusive external sounds.
Transparency: It’s fine, but with transparency mode you want to hear external sounds so Solace A is probably better and less distracting.

Personally I’d like to get both. Currently when building a custom we get both masked and ultrasonic, but I don’t use the ultrasonic one at all. It would be great if I had the option to select a masked only build, and receive both Solace masks instead.

Both Solace masks are far better than the current mask.

Not for me.
For night time listening, prefer Solace A.
Solace B could be a good background sound during the day.

Hearprotek sleep earbuds.

Listening equipment: Hyper Cloud X Headphones.

I prefer Solace A for passive listening, it is less intrusive and i can see myself thinking on other stuff while playing it.

Solace B for active listening , meditation or just deep relaxation where i actually feel the “content” of the subs affect me more deeply via the immersive sounds.

If A and B has the same data content ratio, i’d go with A, but if B can store more data and impact the subconcious more efficiently, then i’d go with B

2 Likes

I’m currently using Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohms, ran with a DAC.

The first one was quieter, I think I’ll enjoy it more when watching or listening to something. This one is fuller, and to me, like a direct evolution of the old mask. I like them both, and I can see different scenarios where both could excel.

Like Rusty, if B can handle more data and be more efficient with permanent results, I’d go with B.

1 Like