List of Book Gems

The length of the book is relevant to your analysis being wrong. I defined an asset in seven words RD takes endless pages of what are in effect copywriting sales copy to tell a story to do the same thing. IOW the extra 259 pages are motivation for the idiot masses. The extra 259 pages can be nothing but motivation because there is simply nothing else to say after describing what an asset is. This is the best proof that the book is nothing but feel good motivation because it was so popular for a short period of time, a fad for the masses.

You mention LoTR, ok Iā€™ll go with that. It is much more than an engaging story about a group of dudes who go for a walk to throw away jewerelly It is full of references to Nordic myths and Christian theology, the ecology is well thought out and consistent and plausible, Tolkien even invented his own grammatically correct language. LoTR also showcases an appreciation of the art of writing and storytelling. The writer is clearly erudite and intelligent. Compare and contrast to the dull plodding of the Potter series. A type of fantasy make-believe woven into fantasy lacking any discourse of truths about reality and the human condition.

The only anger here is you not liking the reality that only losers buy motivation. this is true irrespective of you getting angry or upset. as for you not actually knowing what an asset is and needing RD to tell you that is simply down to you not thinking. Most people donā€™t actually do thinking, instead they spend their time discussing inane pleasantries about the weather, gossiping about the neighbours and fatuous platitudes over sportsball and accepting all the social conditioning inherent in society.

I disagree with several (read: a LOT of) recommendations in this thread.
But, I also understand that what someone else found useful depends on their needs & situation at the time they were reading it.

I donā€™t see the point in discussing / arguing about it.

5 Likes

It also seems to be pretty rare to find a contemporary popular non-fiction book whose primary, actionable points could not have been summarized in one brief chapter.

4 Likes

Define popular and non-fiction? With a sufficiently narrow definition of these qualifiers, that will definitely be true due to the forces involved in making a book marketable and palatable to the masses which I would not say are very intellectual on average :slight_smile: .
And then thereā€™s the fact that weā€™re talking about a summary which is inherently designed to make the points of a book concise. One could even argue that a summary isnā€™t a summary if it exceeds a chapter, at which point the question is malformed :joy:

1 Like

Any one read the book Think and Grow Rich ?
How was your experience with it?
Is it worth while?
Are they better books in that category of personal development and wealth?

What about good audio books?any good ones available in the category of personal development and wealth

1 Like

I found something I definitely want to comment on, but not to discuss or argue. :sweat_smile:

Out of ALL popular authors in self-help, Brendon Burchard and David Goggins would be in my list of ā€œTop 3 that I sincerely recommend staying away fromā€. :smile:

EVERYTHING Burchard puts out is loaded with so many vague/subjective variables that it is impossible for anyone to implement fully, while making it superbly easy for him to keep upselling further infoproducts to expand on the details and be your savior once again. :money_mouth_face:

If you like to have lots of ideas & distinctions, but from someone who has no intention to upsell you anything, nor would he act like his frameworks make success easy, study Straight Line Leadership by Dusan Djukich.

Djukich coaches high level corporate executives, he is not a self-help author by profession.
In fact, he really doesnā€™t sell his book at all. A pdf copy of his book is always available from his site or with a google search. :wink:

Goggins is a master at masochism. His entire approach is rooted in self-punishment that he got addicted to as a child. He canā€™t love people or keep any relationships. To succeed with his way, one needs to become the same. :man_facepalming:t2:

If you want the ruthless attitude of David Goggins, I recommend you study Relentless by Tim Grover for a more mature perspective. :+1:t2:

Grover trains high level athletes (Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant), he is not a self-help author by profession.

10 Likes

Mark Mansonā€™s books Models and Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*** is awesome as well. Also Confessions of A Sociapth

2 Likes

We wonā€™t argue :slight_smile: this may be true-I still personally get identity level inspiration from heā€™s ā€˜vaguerā€™ books but wouldnā€™t recommend them but find High-Performance Habits full of dumb simple-implementable steps Iā€™ve benefited from greatly when I apply them and would recommend.

no upsells for me :slight_smile:

I will read this month. Gotta take heed of that Venusian Scorpio advice :wink:

agreed, just look at his eyes. He seems a bit dead inside. He may be impressive in a highly one dimensional ability to endure punishment, but not something I would want/look to emulate.

agreed, great book

ok no argueing I think :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::joy:

3 Likes

OK, Iā€™ll skim the book. The TOC doesnā€™t help his case though. :smile:

:+1:t2:

Ya. Just like my post and weā€™re good. :joy:

3 Likes

I agree he can take it a bit to far but some of his principles like the 40% rule and the cookie jar have been working for me and, the thing i like about goggins he practices what he preaches not like most of these self help gurus

2 Likes

just realized I totally misread this post-
hearts away lol

what else would you recommend to read?

Very much agree with @Simon on the three authors

Do you have any recommendations for astrology?

Hmmmā€¦Iā€™m trying to decide how I feel about this observation.

On the one hand, I can agree. Iā€™m fairly late to the party and just listened to David Goggins story and work for the first time about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

I was amazed that no one (in the videos I watched) seemed to be pointing out the very clear and direct links from his childhood experiences of abuse and privation at the mercy of a narcissistic and dominating father to the way he lives now. Instead, it was just being presented as a ā€˜non-achieverā€™ who miraculously transformed into an ā€˜achieverā€™. That seems pretty clearly to not be the case. During all of those years of so-called ā€˜non-achievementā€™, it looked like his psychological/spiritual bowstring was being drawn back to almost the snapping point. Once that bowstring was releasedā€¦well, the results are clear.

He is masochistic and he is exorcising/drawing on childhood demons, but I choose to see those as compelling aspects of his journey; not to be emulated unnecessarily, but also not to be ignored or derided.

On the other hand, Iā€™m not sure I like the idea of ā€˜shopping for the perfect teacherā€™. And I mean that literally. Iā€™m genuinely not sure.

It seems like it could save a lot of time if we just accept the universality of human imperfection as a basic fact of life. Then we donā€™t have to get so shocked and disappointed every time another flaw is revealed in a teacher, model, or mentor.

It also seems a little vampiric to me to just glom onto whoever seems to currently ā€˜be getting it rightā€™.

On the other hand, (yes, thatā€™s three hands so far), I think of the RAIKOV module. We do learn from outstanding or effective models.

Is it not, however, a good idea to retain our critical faculties even as we do so?

And is it not easier to retain our critical faculties after weā€™re already aware of the shortcomings of a teacher?

Itā€™s a tricky question (to me).

I think that my ideal in life is to be living my own story, as an imperfect person with excellent ideals and with values that I can respect; never ceding the sovereignty or the responsibility over my mind or my moral judgment to anyone (no matter how impressive that person may seem). It seems to me that if I do that, then I can appreciate peopleā€™s accomplishments and their journeys without needing to buy completely into their narratives or their worldviews. Because they, no matter how accomplished they may be, are here trying to figure it out just like me.

No gurus.

So, in that case, Iā€™d be able to be a person who can be inspired by, amazed by, and appreciative of David Gogginsā€™ journey while at the same time being equally aware of the issues, blockages, and internal demons that are integral parts of his journey. Iā€™d see him as an impressive equal, rather than as a disappointing superior.

I think I might want to be that guy.

:thinking:

4 Likes

Any good books for wealth can you recommend?
Im reading Tools of Titans for now

2 Likes

Hi @pacman. Not at the moment. But thatā€™s just because I donā€™t seem to be in that mindspace right now. My Taking Action queue is clogged and backed up. So, Iā€™m working on that. Once things are flowing again, Iā€™ll look forward to diving back into the inspiring, instructive ideas that are proliferating out here.

While my long-ass post above might give a different impression (i hope it doesnā€™t), Iā€™d pretty highly value whatā€™s recommended by @Simon. Dudeā€™s got a talent for seeing right to the crux of a matter.

Tools of Titans and anything Tim Ferris is (in my opinion) worth reading.

Oh, Ramit Sethi is on my desk. Though Iā€™m currently roaring through it at the impressive speed of a high-performance steam roller.

And this book:

entrepr

That is all Iā€™ve got for now.

3 Likes

Thanks guys appreciate it
@Simon
@Malkuth
@Azriel
@Sigma11

1 Like

@pacman Have fun reading.

1 Like

You guys are good.

Just take & apply the techniques. Keep what works, forget the rest.

Perfect. :+1:t2:

Youā€™re not at risk of becoming seminar/infoproduct junkies, nor constantly changing subliminal stacks.
If only most people were like this. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not yet. I havenā€™t made time to read anything in-depth, and wonā€™t be able to for several more weeks.

Taking a clue from @Malkuth, I am limiting myself to the field of ā€œPsychological Astrologyā€, and as the Wiki page says, the best authors to start with would be Howard Sasportas, Liz Greene, Dane Rudhyar, and Stephen Arroyo.

:wink:

4 Likes

For someone getting into Neville Goddard, what ORDER would you recommend reading his work? I have The Complete Reader (compilation of all 10 books) with me right now. My goal is to truly know how to manifest my desired reality and develop my imaginal capabilities to the highest level. This is in line with me running Mindā€™s Eye Q Core in my custom (along with Yggdrasil, Omnidimensional and Blue Skies).

@Simon @Malkuth

3 Likes