List of Book Gems

I created a complete list of books I read and enjoyed in 2019. These are books which I found so valuable, I am going to read them multiple times. The links below are affiliate links, I hope this is okay.

I am going to add new books here when I remember them. I just didn’t want this thread to go all dead because we collected some real gems here guys

3 Likes

Wow this is such a great resource, glad to be part of the emperors lounge now that im on v4. Heres a couple of books that ive found to be very effective and simple: the one thing, and emotional intelligence 2.0
:trident::+1:t2:

2 Likes

Mark Manson’s “Models” - The better book on deeper relationships with women than Neil Strauss’s “The Game”

His 2nd book “The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F***”

“Confessions of a Sociopath” by M.E Thomas
“The Psychopath Test” by British journalist Jon Ronson

2 Likes

Any good reads for healing?
Getting rid of toxic behaviour and negative patterns?

Love yourself like your life depends on it. It’s a book that you have to go through the journey of doing what it says to cause a breakthrough though. Not one that will change your perspective by just reading it.

1 Like

@robin_hut
I wonder if videos will work?
Like motivational ones…

Read a few of those books , great info

1 Like

Try them. What works for you doesn’t work for everyone.

1 Like

3 Likes

What would really be nice is to organize books into complements for specific subs. E.g.

• The Power of Now (EGO ADSUM)
  • The 48 Laws of Power (Power Can Corrupt)
  • Becoming Supernatural (Mind’s Eye)
  • A lot of stuff (Quantum Limitless ST4)
6 Likes

I love recommending books… it’s been one of my lifelong dreams to open a bookstore, but the financial practicalities (and struggles of 2 people I know who own small independent bookstores) will likely keep it a pipe dream until I’m financially free and can do it as a hobby. In the meantime, here are a few favorites from my shelf and/or Kindle, organized by associated subs:

Limitless & Quantum Limitless:

Limitless by Jim Kwik
How To Think Like Leonardo da Vinci by Michael Gelb
De Bono’s Thinking Course, by Edward De Bono
Accelerated Learning For The 21st Century, by Colin Rose & Malcolm Nicholl
Smarter, by Dan Hurley
Ultralearning, by Scott Young
You Can Fix Your Brain, by Tom O’Bryan
Power Up Your Brain, by David Perlmutter & Alberto Villoldo

Healing subs:

Grow A New Body, by Alberto Villoldo
(I have 2 whole shelves dedicated to health books in my office… more to come!)

Limitless & Quantum Limitless + Mind’s Eye:

The Silva Method, by Jose Silva

EoG & other wealth/business subs:

Tools of Titans, by Timothy Ferriss
Tribe of Mentors, by Timothy Ferriss
Abundance, by Peter Diamandis & Steven Kotler
Money: Master The Game, by Tony Robbins
Principles, by Ray Dalio
Rich Dad, Poor Dad & Cashflow Quadrant, by Robert Kiyosaki
Shoe Dog, by Phil Knight
Deep Work, by Cal Newport
7 Habits of Highly Effective People, by Stephen Covey
Essentialism, by Greg McKeown
Getting Things Done, by David Allen
The 80/20 Principle, by Richard Koch
Make Time, by Jake Knapp & John Zeratsky
5-Day Weekend, by Nik Hallik
The Fish That Ate the Whale, by Rich Cohen (this one is as much a cautionary tale as it is an example of what can be accomplished with enough ambition)

Emperor/AM/Ascension & other alpha mindset subs

Unbeatable Mind, by Mark Divine
13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do, by Amy Morin
Antifragile, by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
The Obstacle Is the Way, by Ryan Holiday
The Daily Stoic, by Ryan Holiday

General mindset, suitable for all subs:

Unlimited Power, by Tony Robbins
Awaken The Giant Within, by Tony Robbins
The Happiness Equation, by Neil Pasricha
Your Best Life Ever, by Michael Hyatt
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, by Marie Kondo (much more than just getting rid of stuff. This book inspired me to make sweeping changes in my life and I ditched a lot of things that were causing me stress… including cutting ties with many people I used to hang out with, who were not aligned with my goals. I highly recommend it.)

10 Likes

Talking of book stores: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jg_mUfVLa_0

1 Like

@Hermit I would love to see yo recommendations here

• Why you shouldn’t masturbate by David Baldwin
1 Like

I have a problem with Rich Dad, Poor Dad and Awaken the Giant Within as they are motivational rather than giving any actionable advice and if one is seeking to change ones life you need to actually be taking action instead of getting good feelings in the brain.

I therefore recommend ‘The Millionaire Next Door’ which is based on case studies of how real millionaires got rich. (The research behind the book was done originally in order to find out how to sell successfully to rich people).

2 Likes

RDPD (the first book) is just an introduction to the shifted concept of assets vs liabilities, the real actionable stuff comes in the subsequent books. Even though that book has been out for what, 20+ years now? many people still think of their houses as an asset…

They are…

They’re just not your asset.

With a mortgage, it’s the bank’s asset until it’s paid off.

Once it’s paid off, however, it’s still in part the town/city’s asset, as it’s taxable.

Granted, you can offset that by having a rental suite, or putting a guest room on Airbnb, etc… but that’s usually slight mitigation and maybe break even at best.

Awaken the Giant Within is best read as a follow-up to Unlimited Power, which is full of actionable advice. Absolutely, The Millionaire Next Door is fantastic too, I haven’t read that one in a while. Thanks for the reminder!

3 Likes

Your analysis is wrong.

Whilst you are correct that RDPD defines what an asset actually is (ie something that puts money in your pocket), it takes 260 odd pages to do so. IOW something that i have just described in seven words is stretched and padded with motivational film flam.

Remember, motivation is for losers. And RDPD would not have made the bestseller lists if it didn’t pander to all the losers in society who lap this sort of thing up. Couple that with the made up Rich Dad story (which is actually a good bit of copywriting) and the normies will lap it up.

The genius of Tony Robbins and why he deserves to be a multimillionaire is that he is able to package the motivation is a way that it seems actionable which appeals to the mug punters.

OTOH, MND really does have actionable advice.
1 Become an auctioneer[1]
2 only have one wife who is frugal
3 maximise your income
4 Buy good quality long lasting stuff
5 save a good chunk of income every year
6 repeat this for a number of years

[1] Apparently being an auctioneer is one of the best ways to get well off, I’ve never met a poor auctioneer.

1 Like

The length of the book to get to the point isn’t relevant to my analysis being right or wrong, Lord of the Rings is super popular and it’s basically just a story about a bunch of dudes who go for a walk to throw away a piece of jewelry. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You’ve got a bit of anger there towards the topic of motivation in general, might want to add some RegenQ to your stack to see what’s up with that. RDPD changed my mindset about what an asset is, and then I moved on to other stuff. If someone still thinks a house with a 30-year mortgage is their asset, then they need to make that shift. Hearing just those words likely isn’t enough to overturn an established belief, it usually requires some guidance… which is what that book series is about.

I like MND, and many others about personal finance as well, I just mentioned RDPD because it was on my shelf and I recalled it being influential for my thinking 20 or so years ago.

As for the MND advice:

1 Become an auctioneer

Definitely not my cup of tea… or coffee… or any other beverage. :wink:

2 only have one wife who is frugal

I intend to only have 1 wife ever, and she is indeed frugal.

3 maximise your income

I do this. :wink:

4 Buy good quality long lasting stuff

I also do this

5 save a good chunk of income every year

I do this… I also invest in my business

6 repeat this for a number of years

That’s the idea. :wink:

3 Likes

Some books that widen our understanding of the macro-environment here.

Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond
Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps That Explain Everything about the World by Tim Marshall
Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty by Professor Daron Acemoglu and James A Robinson
The Cash Nexus: Money and Power in the Modern World, 1700-2000 by Professor Niall Ferguson

3 Likes

The length of the book is relevant to your analysis being wrong. I defined an asset in seven words RD takes endless pages of what are in effect copywriting sales copy to tell a story to do the same thing. IOW the extra 259 pages are motivation for the idiot masses. The extra 259 pages can be nothing but motivation because there is simply nothing else to say after describing what an asset is. This is the best proof that the book is nothing but feel good motivation because it was so popular for a short period of time, a fad for the masses.

You mention LoTR, ok I’ll go with that. It is much more than an engaging story about a group of dudes who go for a walk to throw away jewerelly It is full of references to Nordic myths and Christian theology, the ecology is well thought out and consistent and plausible, Tolkien even invented his own grammatically correct language. LoTR also showcases an appreciation of the art of writing and storytelling. The writer is clearly erudite and intelligent. Compare and contrast to the dull plodding of the Potter series. A type of fantasy make-believe woven into fantasy lacking any discourse of truths about reality and the human condition.

The only anger here is you not liking the reality that only losers buy motivation. this is true irrespective of you getting angry or upset. as for you not actually knowing what an asset is and needing RD to tell you that is simply down to you not thinking. Most people don’t actually do thinking, instead they spend their time discussing inane pleasantries about the weather, gossiping about the neighbours and fatuous platitudes over sportsball and accepting all the social conditioning inherent in society.