Liminality custom Qv2

@Malkuth I’m 100% a HSP. I guess I still haven’t accepted it yet. I still have this feeling of needing to figure out how to not be this way. I’ve been doing that for close to probably 10 years now. It’s clear that despite everything I’ve done to improve myself, my constant neglect towards my own temperament and not working with that has been my biggest mistake. And I… keep… making… it

The defensive section of that book is very accurate. I’ve had to protect my own mental health for most of my life. What seemed routine and fairly basic, for example a cashiering job in retail, could be enough to throw me into serious depression. Just one of many aspects that made that job hell. Being subjected to the same music on repeat for 4 hours straight, sometimes 8. I definitely have a threshold with music I like, but force feed me music I hate? Yeah I get stressed mentally. And then interacting with people all day as an introvert? I felt like I was in hell. Seems dumb, but those tiny things just added up into some of the worst years of my life.

Any books you’d recommend? I think learning more would be helpful, but I definitely need something practical. Something I can incorporate into my own life. Guidelines for a HSP I guess, something so I know I’m just not making all this up and so I stop gaslighting myself all the time with what I should be doing.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about this. What would be the most helpful and practical.

The one I’m reading now feels really good. Apparently it was based on research that the author did, but now instead of directing it to academic audiences, he’s adapting it and translating it to be readable by a general audience.

This is reflected in the writing style.

But the bottom line is, I think this stuff is pretty practical and practicable.

The website of Elaine Aron is a good place to start.

www.hsperson.com

She lists out a bunch of resources there.

If I think of or come across any particularly helpful resources, I’ll add them here.

I still find myself constantly having new realizations about high sensitivity, and I first learned about the concept 24 years ago. There’s a big difference between conceptual understanding and really grounded feeling-understanding.

Sometimes, experiential insights feel so elusive. The subliminals seem to really help.

The other day (or maybe the other month), I had a bolt of insight, and it seems relevant to you too, so I want to attempt to express it. Like most experiential insights, it may sound very straight-forward when translated into words, but that’s the alchemy of communication. Might as well try anyway.

I’ll try to make it into a metaphor.

Imagine that as a human being you’re a wound-up ball of yarn.

There are objects interwoven among the yarn. I can’t find a picture of that, but just imagine that they’re like little Monopoly objects or game pieces.

Imagine that they’re just interwoven amidst the yarn and sticking out here or there.

Some of those pieces we like, some we detest, most we ignore. But they’re all physically there, so they all impact us, whether we’re aware of them or not.

Those pieces represent our characteristics—-of our personalities and experiences and so on.

Because the yarn is all wound up, it’s not immediately obvious which of those interwoven pieces are directly connected to each other. We kind of explore and find out over time as we pull the yarn and see what happens. We pull on one piece and then, if we’re paying attention, we notice that another piece on another part of the ball of yarn, got tugged and moved. We can start to see the connections.

Okay, there’s the metaphor. And now here’s what I noticed.

Some of my personal characteristics that I’d found to be so oppressive, unfortunate, weak, and so on, are directly connected to other characteristics that are my most treasured. Some of them are so directly connected that they’re basically the same thing.

They’re the strength expression and the weakness expression of the exact same underlying quality.

It struck me that if I had gotten rid of my high sensitivity, I would have gotten rid of some of the most valued parts of my experience of life.

It was kind of a trip to see and feel it so clearly. They were literally the same thing.

It really came home when I was reading the description of the astrological archetype Cancer. I think that Cancer may be the high sensitivity archetype par excellence.

When I saw the weaknesses/challenge areas and the strength areas written clearly right next to each other, it was like :no_mouth:

“oh.”

I don’t want to get rid of this stuff at all. I wasn’t even understanding it properly.

Hmm…so i guess I’m saying that, ironically, one of the most practical things that I’ve read that was helpful to me as a highly sensitive person was the psychological description of the Cancer archetype.

I don’t know your astrology chart, but I’d say that there’s a good chance that the energy of Cancer/4th House (and Virgo/6th House) are represented in there in some significant way.

Anyway, I’ll paste the description of the Cancer archetype in the following post. Have to make the type small so that it will all fit. But you can magnify it.

1 Like

I highlighted (as usual) the parts that were making a strong impression on me.

1 Like

Doesn’t seem dumb at all. What else is life made up of but moments? But yes, I know what you mean.

I’ve had the same experience. I remember looking around the office as the same 6 songs kept playing and realizing, ‘They’re not really hearing this’. It was like the carpet or the furniture for them. They could hear it obviously. But it didn’t make a big difference.

Anyway. Didn’t want to let that one comment pass by.

1 Like

I’ve definitely felt this, but probably not as solidly as you. I’ve always referred to it as my spider web in my mind. But that always had negative connotations. I like the yarn metaphor because it represents it more accurately.

I’ll have to think about that one more. Finding those connections and how they’re attached. I think being a HSP it isn’t always so clear to an individual what’s a deficit in themselves vs a reaction to being different in a world that favors a certain type of individual.

Those cancer descriptions hit pretty close to home. Especially the part about projecting a 3 dimensional hologram and shedding the shell. That’s definitely what I’ve been doing over the years. I’ve never been able to just rip it all away and jump in the deep end.

I’ll have to get my exact birth time so I can see what my chart shows. I think that could help out. I like the straightforwardness of that book as well. I might grab that too. Would be interesting to see how my life is mapped out in there.

Yeah I’m pretty convinced that there are some people that don’t actually “hear” music like other people. It’s an interesting phenomena.

Anyway thanks for the insights. I really need to start venturing away from common advice that doesn’t apply to me. Reading more into HSP will probably help me make better decisions in my own life.

1 Like

This implies you’re not automatically attractive, or that women’s attraction to you is ephemeral. Perhaps if you examine some of your assumptions about yourself and women, you could design some more optimistic one. This might help with any neediness you might be having.

2 Likes

My assumptions about myself and women is a definite trainwreck. There’s just a lot of past experiences that don’t help.

It definitely needs to be restructured better, but that’s very up and down for me.

It just might go deeper than attraction. The attraction thing might just be a copout or excuse for not engaging on a more intimate level. If I don’t let them be attracted to me of course I’m not gonna see it.

I guess that’s the question. Do I want women to be attracted to me? That’s not a solid yes, which raises some questions.

1 Like

I’ve been there. However Heartsong has helped me overcome any ambivalence.

2 Likes

I’ll consider it. But I’m really hesitant to throw anymore subs at myself. I’m basically on a no more spending restriction for this stuff until I hit some goals in my life. So I’m sticking long term with my current custom until I see the effects strongly in my life.

3 Likes

Still doing listening at night or when I’m more relaxed. I’ve also decreased the volume to almost whisper quiet levels.

I’m doing some more in depth experimenting with the volume lately. I was messing around with how the different listening volumes manifested as physical tension. To me that physical tension is an indication that on some level my conscious mind is intercepting the script and dismissing the suggestions. I know these are framed as why questions which helps with not outright rejecting things like I am statements, but it most certainly still happens for me.

Anyway at whisper quiet levels I feel my subconscious react, but the physical tension isn’t present. The goal is to really have the script slip through, without any conscious intervention. Despite these being subliminals, I still find I have to make it even more subliminal for myself by decreasing volume. I’m not sure how the masking works for these, so I’m not sure if the subliminals sit under the audio or inside of it.

Either way since I’ve started doing this my nightmares have increased. One night I woke up thinking a demon was in my room and was going to strangle me to death. Last night I was fighting for me and my friends and families life in some weird arena death match thing. Basically I was willing to die to keep them safe, so bravery maybe?

1 Like

@Malkuth Finally dug out my birth certificate. Here’s my chart whenever you get a chance. I know you had some predictions, I’d be interested to know how accurate they were.

astro chart

1 Like

A more in-depth statement will take me some time. There are some details to really think about and consider. But as an initial response, I’d made this observation:

Your chart further supports my theory that

You have your Ascendant (the sign of the 1st House-representing identity, personality, ego) in Cancer, Mars (important for one’s will, for career motivation, and for masculine identity) is also in Cancer in the 1st House. Finally, Chiron (representing our wounds and the healing we seek) is also in Cancer in the 1st House.

So that prediction is correct.

My parenthesized prediction (well, more of a guess really) was incorrect. I expected that I might see Virgo or the 6th House represented somewhere, because of the perfectionism and detail-orientation that tends to influence your creative process. But there are no planets in the 6th House at all. And there are also no planets in Virgo.

For more details, I’ll need more time. But Cancer is indeed a strong influence in your chart. There are others too.

It’s said that to have guidance on career, one can begin by looking at the placements and meanings of Mars, Venus, and the North Node (an angular position based on the Moon).

In your chart:

Mars (the passion of career) is in Cancer in the First House (the house of Identity and Ego). (Your passion involves sensitive, healing exploration of inner, private experience, particularly in the context of your own identity.)

Venus is in Gemini in the Twelfth House. (You will be loved for experiencing and communicating about human limitations, about solitude/transcendence, and about letting go.) That fits with the down-to-earth vulnerability and unthreatened self-observations of your journal here.

The North Node is one’s Life Path. The direction of evolution in this lifetime. Evolution feels awkward. New and unfamiliar. But any efforts in the direction of the evolutionary path are rewarded tenfold.

The sign of your evolutionary path is Capricorn. The sign of the self-disciplined businessman. The archetypal keywords of Capricorn: The Hermit, The Father, The Prime Minister.

The House (or the context and domain) of your North Node is the 8th House. Your life path is to impose discipline and to build something effective and meaningful in the realm of the deeply felt, instinctual areas of life. (Sex, Death, God).

2 Likes

Damn this is cool. Don’t worry about going more in depth. I’m going to be studying this myself. But I appreciate you taking the time. The cancer influence is indeed very eye opening.

2 Likes

Gonna start listening to paragon. I feel like I’ve been avoiding that one, but my body could use some physical healing. Just trying to figure out when a good time to listen to it would be and how often. Ultimas seem to unpack more slowly than regular subs to me so it’s easier to overload myself.

On that note I haven’t listened to Sanguine recently either. But as far as Ultimas go I think that’s probably a lighter one.

1 Like

Not sure if I’m shooting myself in the foot here with listening volume or not. If this is really just clever reconciliation to get me to stop listening. But I am pretty interested to see how far down the subconscious can hear with this stuff and the resulting response.

Headphones are a pretty unnatural listening experience to begin with and most of the time are louder than we perceive. I don’t know if this will be a dead end or not but I figured I’d try something different.

I was observing again the other day that the music just comes.

I mean I was listening to some past sketches and compositions and reflecting on how surprising musical ideas are to me. I mean my own musical ideas. I don’t literally construct them. It’s more like they spring out of an intuitive level of mind, and I either pay attention or don’t pay attention, or I either allow them to flow or I obstruct the flow. But the source itself is somewhere off-screen.

Sure there are many ideas that don’t pan out or that I may not quite like. But who cares? There’s nothing special or tragic about not creating something. The amazing part is that sometimes there are ideas that I really do like, sometimes even love. And they kind of just come. Do you know what I mean?

1 Like

I do. There’s a very faint intuition for me that’s a push pull. Sometimes I don’t always get it right. Sometimes the path my intuitive sense wants me to go down is avoided because I think it needs to be a certain way.

I think writing music is more like improvisation vs a calculated task, well it is for me at least and I find my best stuff comes when I don’t try to figure it out as much. Letting something loop, feel out the rhythm or harmony, then just get it down to the best of my ability.

Sadly I haven’t been able to do that for a while. My confidence in my ability to see my ideas through is incredibly low lately. Money, time, draining job, I can’t get into the headspace. So instead of exploring ideas with freedom and creativity I get burdened with this sense of urgency that I need to finish because my energy to focus on it is highly unpredictable and I don’t know when the next opportunity will be.

I’m actually looking into getting a 4 track cassette recorder and hook up my gear directly into to record with. Get the computer out of the workflow and get rid of the visual. Also eventually grab a hardware synth. Hoping the restrictions and lack of visual stimulus will help me get into the music more.

Ugh so very wrong. I kept decreasing the volume on the sub until I could barely hear it thinking that was a better way. It wasn’t. At least I know it now 2 days into experimenting. But overthinking got the best of me. New rule of thumb, pleasant conversation level. That’s it. Not too loud, not too quiet. Basically set it to a level that feels comfortable and friggin leave it there.

I’m not gonna hack subliminal volume level to skyrocket my results, that’s wishful thinking on my part. My brain just needs to chill. Guess my mind found a great new avenue for reconciliation and used my obsessive tendencies and disposition to over analyze the crap out of everything against me.

I should have really known. Prior to deciding to lower the volume I was having those thoughts like “this is never going to work for you”. Just the really defeatist “this is all a lie and you’re delusional if you think this is helping”. And I continued to feel worse and worse. But I felt worse because I was still working through changes. I started researching where I was going to move, what kind of jobs, visualizing my future, getting further from NY, etc. Then my brain hit the panic switch.

1 Like

Paragon is a weird one. This is really only my third time running it but there’s a lot of emotional stuff that comes up. I’m thinking since it relaxes my body and I hold a lot of tension in my body day to day these are just suppressed emotions/stress of making it through my days.

To elaborate on that it’s been months, maybe even years since I’ve felt like I can get through a day without being exhausted. My sleep quality has been crap for a while now as well. So hopefully paragon can help me with that.

2 Likes

Bought the 4 track cassette recorder. Gonna be here sometime this week. I have to build some synth presets so I know what sounds I can pull up and express myself with. Only issue is it feels incredibly difficult to sit down and do right now. I’m trying to build a patch a day.

Speaking of doing something every day. I’m going to work on doing a little bit of this IT course I started months ago and then abandoned. Even if it’s just one video a day, I have to do something so I can get myself out of the hole I’m in. I think I have to really get a better idea of what higher level IT jobs entail so I’m not so spooked. I think what concerns me the most is how unreliable my brain can be at times, but maybe in a different environment I’d do better. Right now my job is constant interruptions and lack of organization or prioritizing it feels like a mess.

On a darker note had some strong suicidal ideations the other day. But I explored the core of them more. Inevitably they all led back to this common theme of weighing too much of my self worth in not hitting the milestones of adulthood. Shit like owning a home, having a steady career, a family, and being independent. My life didn’t pan out that way. And I’ve had to insulate myself from the opinions of others who have no business giving life advice. I’ve often found that people really don’t see or understand the things they take for granted when it comes to mental health. Some people are so arrogant with how they think they have the answer to everyone who doesn’t hit some standard.

My point in this ramble is. I have to work harder to maintain my level of self worth because there’s always some asshole around the corner that just wants to kick me while I’m down. And the messages are just flashing in my face 24/7 like neon lights. My goal isn’t to achieve some cliche milestones but to build up my self worth to a point where those things shouldn’t tug at that worth. At that point I can make my own decisions vs being led around on a leash fulfilling obligations out of a sense of shame or guilt. I’m built different, I am different, and I’m pretty tired of feeling like I’m going through a meat grinder vs living a life that elevates me.

2 Likes