Interesting Trend

Maybe a not so popular thing to write, but sometimes I feel the community is too eager to help. And I understand why (previous experiences, desire to help out etc), but in the end we’re all different and with different backgrounds, so assuming everyone would react the same it’s just not realistic.
And if someone is aggressive, leave him be (that’s why we have moderators here), instead of trying to educate him. It’s patronizing and it can’t lead to anything good.
My 2 cents.

2 Likes

You can help in whatever capacity you wish, as true with everyone.

I get that, I’m just playing devils advocate: people will get triggered when getting unsolicited advice, that’s my only point.
I understand this is an online community, but think for 2 seconds how you would react in real life if you’re telling a story and a bunch of people offer their advice. There is no way a sane person would embrace that advice; I feel like we’re forgetting sometimes how a thread like this would translate into a real life interaction. This would keep everyone grounded, helpful when needed etc. Because I do believe that most people here are beautiful, helpful people.

2 Likes

I do understand. I even agree. Even though I agree, I’ve chosen to take a different approach and accept the risks, just as I do IRL. If at any point I say something or do something you dislike, you are welcome to respectfully post about it just as you did here.

PS I want to make this clear, although I’ve not seen all your posts, I have noticed input I’ve appreciated that you’ve offered to others. Thank you for that and please keep posting.

3 Likes

You better not, buddy :angry:

1 Like

Personally I’m listening to QV2, my custom :point_left:

Khan+Stark+Medici

1 Like

When you put it this way, I see what you mean.

But. Posting on here isn’t quite the same as having a private, one on one conversation with some person in public and then people butt in.

I would say it’s more like you’re talking to a room of people, maybe you know some but a lot are strangers, and you’re also being broadcast to an audience you have no control over.

I do agree with what you said about unsolicited advice, for sure! I usually will start off with telling people that this is my input and it’s unsolicited so if it resonates, great, if not, then awesome too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks.
If anyone (here or anywhere) think that I can improve his life by sharing my experience, I’ll always make time. I got the same treatment evolving, so it’s the least I can to as a decent person.

2 Likes

Up to you man; why you would choose to give advice so someone who didn’t ask for it? I would never do this by choice, maybe I do get carried away sometimes. At max, I would tell them: if you want my advice, I’m always here.
The way I see things is about treating the other person as your equal. If you’re talking to a child, sure give him an advice. If you’re talking to an adult, give him the benefit of considering him mature enough to ask for help if he needs it. If you disconsider him, his aggressive reaction is justified.

“Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

1 Like

I remember when a coach told me that men have a tendency to want to fix and take action on anything they can. At least in their head. Which is why women get so annoyed with us when all they want is for somebody to listen to them without trying to fix everything.

I’ve been noticing the trend for a bit longer now and am very curious as to what causes it. Harder-hitting subs can be a cause, could also be that all the COVID measures are starting to take their toll on people. Or that we have begun attracting a broader audience. Our customer and user base continues to grow after all.

Whatever the case, it’s a curious phenomenon.

One such case has now reached an unfortunate conclusion. I feel we did really try our best there and remain optimistic (pun intended) that there won’t be too many incidents like it in our community’s future. I like this place and its people. And the lack of a PvP area.

Thanks for taking the time to make this thread, Ninjistic. As is my habit, I wrote you a much longer post, but then I deleted it. :wink:

7 Likes

@Sage_Ninjistic

hi

I didnt read a single word of this thread,

but it makes sense.

thank you

6 Likes

I agree.
but sometimes a bit of PvP is good, to keep you moving forward.

we are humans and as ambitious and hard working we are here, we still love to be entertained sometimes.:grin:

1 Like

Back in the day someone taught me to write out all the bad stuff in my head for 1 hour in the morning and then destroy it. I guess it was one of my mentors/friends. Powerful exercise to start the day fresh.

There also was a mental clearing exercise I remember by a marketing guru. I think it was called brain reboot or something like that. It was more complex with writing down unfinished business, goals etc. Sadly, I don’t remember the name of the guru. He gave the method away for free.

I just mentioned it because I love writing as a tool for transformation.

1 Like

Well, I’m not usually the type to offer advice to anyone unsolicited lol, but when I do, I drink Dos E- I mean, I usually give a disclaimer.

My spiritual mentor actually was the first person to caution me against giving people advice without them asking first, for the exact reason you said.

I’m the type of person that irl people come to to vent to, to ask for a higher/different perspective, etc etc…

All of this to say

I generally wouldn’t IRL, but on a public forum, I think the rules are just slightly …looser.

@DarkPhilosopher I am one of those people that enjoy when you or @RVconsultant has a lengthy post, because neither of you posts frivolously :slight_smile:

I only wanted to post this so it could (potentially) help someone that didn’t have simple tools to interact. It seems to me that most of our community is (unsurprisingly) level headed, mature and healthy in their response to people online and on here in particular.

I just rolled out of bed to hail the sun with squinted eyes, so I can only assume that the situation you are referring to is probably the inspiration of this post, but if so, I want to commend yourself and RV once again for how you guys handle… Rumbles in the community, lol.

@Rapsta I didn’t read a single word of your reply, but, you could also consider ever word before here a lie and replace it with thank you!

2 Likes

If I still had photoshop, and I knew what Saint or fire looked like, I would photoshop one of their heads onto Gerald Butler in 300. Perfect meme.

1 Like

Thanks for your support and appreciation man!

Well, this was our last company retreat, in front of one of our research locations:

I’m the one not wearing a hood this time.

Does that help? :wink:

PS Does this count as a frivolous post?

PPS Just in case there’s any confusion, that isn’t us…

1 Like

Can you all stop posting in this thread as all of your opinions are useless to me?

Cheers :+1::rofl:

2 Likes

@Sage_Ninjistic - it’s very good advice at the same time the whole interaction which @DarkPhilosopher was talking about was very surreal. We all love a good controversy and the guy was knowlingly or unknowingly whipping us up into a frenzy.

At first, I was reigning a lot in until I too snapped and called him a two word name (and instantly regretted it a bit expecting SaintSovereign or Fire to warn me to not do so). I think I got away cause the guy was going way overboard and was deaf to the admins many explanations. He rubbed us all the wrong way, a sure sign that we ourselves have loads of lessons to learn when it comes to such volatile experiences

1 Like