DRACARYS! - Raphael's Primal Ascended Dragon Journal

Yes, and founder of the Sibling-hood of the Dragon. :grin:

3 Likes

Ah okay. Just wanted to tag you in a post :slight_smile:

1 Like

disco-dancing-animated-gif-5

2 Likes

Yes, indeed. The Rhythm of War. I’m going to enjoy reading it. This is one of the things that has gotten slowed down for me right now. I’ve found that with my subliminal stack as it is, there are a number of things I would usually do which have been paused. One of those is reading. Another is composing music. Many things related to creativity are currently on pause. It’s been like this for a while, but the realization of it hit me very suddenly last weekend. I think that my creative energy is currently being dominated by what my subconscious is building. Pretty wild to observe that.

But I can feel that as my mind adapts and grows, I’m gradually having more energy and bandwidth available to direct externally.

I think it’s a bit like what trees do during winter. They draw all of their energy into the core to nourish and sustain life during the cold time, and they also gestate and feed the new life that will burst forth when the temperature warms.

2 Likes

@James - HAHA! Good old young travolta.

1 Like

Am in a situation where i can’t use my internet a lot especially for youtube videos. That leaves me with SubClub Forum (which doesn’t consume a lot of internet since it’s mainly text) and my trusty kindle reader. Reading is the only option these days. Good thing too.

Have you started Rhythms of War? How is it?

1 Like

haven’t started it. because I like to re-read the other volumes before I read a new one. This will be the last time you hear from me about it for a while. I’m spoiler-phobic! :slight_smile: You’re also an intuitive type so you probably know the feeling. Hearing even two words can often reveal too much to me and negatively affect the experience.

What I can say is this: with Brandon Sanderson, you’re in good and competent hands. The guy’s a solid creator.

1 Like

@Malkuth - the interesting part is that I don’t mind spoilers at all. But at the same time I can understand people wanting things to be spoiler-free.

Although I do find Sanderson to be extremely good at storylines and dialogues (especially love the humorous parts in his books), I do prefer the characters and world building of Robert Jordan, GRR Martin and Steven Erickson.

But yes, Sanderson is an extremely competent writer.

1 Like

I’ve read all three of those authors and each is excellent for different reasons. I think Sanderson is a younger (in age and in craft) writer, and he’s still developing to his own apex of craft. But, wow, the progression has been amazing. The thing about Sanderson is that he’s methodical. At first, that deliberateness eclipsed some of his other strengths. I find that with each successive book, his mastery grows.

My son and I listened to his children’s series Alcatraz and the Evil Librarians. That one is chock-full of humor, and was very enjoyable.

Another younger writer (compared to those you mentioned) who I love in a very different way to Sanderson is Patrick Rothfuss. He’s the kind of prose writer who you can tell is also well-steeped in poetry. It adds a lyricism to his writing that is quite distinctive and transporting. Of course, probably as a result of that same quality, he also takes a very long time to complete his book. But The Name of the Wind. It’s actually high-time that I read that one again. All I remember is the wonder I felt. The first page, the prologue, was already excellent. It’s called A Silence of Three Parts. So excellent.

But, yes. I like to have a very pristine experience with a story. I want to give the author a chance to speak to me directly and as unmediated as possible. I’m pretty sensitive to tropes (even though I don’t know the names of most of them), and when I hear a few details, I often automatically intuit a whole bunch of other ones. I’m distracted by the sense of knowing what’s coming already.

2 Likes

@Malkuth - you know? Am not normally critical about writers since I know the challenge of writing things that capture people’s imaginations. It’s interesting that I do it with Sanderson. Maybe it is because I have read too much fantasy that I like things a particular way. Possible that I want fantasy worlds to have so much mystery and history at the same time that it makes me have this sense of awe and wonder.

In Sanderson’s case, I admire his dedication to the craft and his craftmanship. He knows his stuff and is dogged in his work. The funny thing is that it is possible that if I start writing, I might end up like him BUT expect more out of myself and hence expect more out of him. So I guess am being self-critical?

But yes, he is a younger writer and he still has loads to write. He is also consistent in his output unlike GRRM (but I don’t complain since writing isn’t easy). And what he writes is still awesome. No wonder am digging The Stormlight Archives so far.

PS: it’s high time I get The Name of the Wind. Heard too many good things about it.

1 Like

Have you read any Peter V. Brett? He’s also from this younger crop of writers. Well, in their forties, but younger than some of our original reference points. Haha. I may have said this to you before, don’t remember right now, but when I first started reading these younger authors, I could tell that they’d grown up watching movies and television. The sentences feel more clipped and visually descriptive. Sometimes almost screenplay-like. I’ve gotten used to it, but sometimes I still get that feeling. This is compared to the authors of my youth LeGuin, Tolkien, L’Engle, and later Jordan, Williams, Martin, maybe also Hobb. Of course television and film existed in their lifetimes, but their authorial voices seemed to emerge more purely out of an engagement with literary tradition and lineage. They write like they spent hours reading more so than ‘watching’.

Some of these younger writers seem to do extremely well with writing physical action.

Anyway, I’ll be interested to see what you think of Peter Brett (The Warded Man, titled The Painted Man in the UK).

1 Like

@Malkuth - that’s an excellent observation!!! And yes I adore Ursula LeGuin too. And one more thing I like about the “older” authors is the way they create Names. Names of people, groups, cities, countries, races, worlds, etc. There’s something special there.

I guess am an old school reader haha! But too much of a voracious reader to stop reading so I might end up being a “new school” reader too.

PS: not read Peter V. Brett. Will check him out.

Day 3: Wednesday (Week 1)
Dragon Reborn ST1 x 1

• Again had bursts of melancholy and rage throughout the morning mixed with feeling helpless. @Mentalchemist is right in saying that we are releasing such emotions. Thankfully, I didn’t “release” such feelings on anyone around me

• Like yesterday, my lips were smooth and not dry which makes me believe that healing is happening there. For the recent couple of years, I had this bad habit of ripping my lips apart with my teeth. Now when I occasionally press my lips together to test the skin, they are smooth. Even smoother than yesterday. That’s some fast healing. Hope I get some more physical healing in other places

• Had an urge to consume lots of carbohydrates today and break my diet. Luckily I didn’t have anything around me to cheat on my diet

• When I took an afternoon nap, I ended up being real angry in the dream. Something wasn’t going right, and I kept shouting and grumbling in it. I woke up and remembered the dream. And immediately, after a second or two, the alarm rang. I felt some sort of emotional release from that. And the rest of the day was quite peaceful

• The past few days after I started ST1: Dragonfire, I keep reminding myself that am being purified in the flames. Need that reminder lest I either stop DR and move on to another shiny thing or end up feeling real hopeless

• Today I was thinking of comparing DR ST1 to Khan ST1 (from memory). I remembered that Khan ST1: Total Breakdown had it’s own difficulty which was usually a heavy feeling in my heart region. I removed that feeling by playing Sanguine (this was before Ultimas were made) and also Spartan (Pre-Q) helped with it. For Dragon Reborn ST1 though, I am going at it the “old school” way by NOT overstacking it like the fool I was before and where I just embrace the fucking pain although in the moments when I do that I just feel like a trapped animal who feels like shit. Real good stuff.

8 Likes

The healing your describing is a great sign, and the speed in which it happened.

Sounds like whatever difficulty your experiencing internally, you can still healthily manage it so your not lashing out on others. Especially as your holding strong context/ frame around the what your experiencing-by reminding yourself it’s all fodder for the D-Fire.

I have some concern for my test run, since I don’t want to drop into an abysmal state right before seeing family later lol. Obviously we may respond differently but what do you think, better to wait?

1 Like

True

So far it is fine. Don’t know about tomorrow lol

Since am always with family, this makes my decision easier :grin:. But if I were in your shoes, I wouldn’t exactly be needing physical healing so can wait for a more opportune time (maybe after new years?). But then again, I would also ask myself “What is more important to me? Getting absolute healing now or later?”. The answers to these questions will guide you.

1 Like

While my back chronic back issues have been largely healed, I still have some chronic issues with my ear/sinuses that can compromise the quality of my life extremely-it doesn’t sound like it’s as major or challenging as what you deal with, and I am fortunate it’s not that big a thing-however it occupies my consciousness too much and this is the major reason I am interested in not waiting on DR. Thank’s for the suggested guidance :slight_smile: I’ll wait a lil bit longer, at least break the ice with the fam, before consuming them in the dragon flames of my emotional purge.

2 Likes

Yeah I know that feeling. May your issues be resolved ASAP

3 Likes

DR urges me to change my diet and strangely enough I’m starting to switch from red (meat) to green (vegetables) which one wouldn’t expect of a dragon. :wink:

The dragon is thrashing you around a bit. And it’s only one loop/a day. I listened to four last night and I’m going to see what happens next.

1 Like

I wonder what people think about running this at night and get some purgatory in bed instead of having to unleash the dragon onto others in the day.

1 Like

That’s interesting. Personally, I feel the urge to consume a variety of foods that feel good on the tastebuds. Am seriously feeling ravenous but sticking to my carnivore diet which should be suitable for a Dragon but feel like I just want to consume EVERYTHING so that I can become huge like the dragon Balerion The Black Dread. Well, The Brown Dread in this case. Did I just compare myself to a huge turd now? LOL

For sure! Good luck for your 4 loops.

2 Likes