Are there any INFJs on this forum?

Anyone interested in MBTI, should definitely take a look at Socionics. A few weeks ago I finally decided to give Socionics a chance and it gave me a better understanding about myself than MBTI did. The types in Socionics are imo portayed more realistc and less sugarcoating.

@Lion If you are an Infj in MBTI you are either an Infp or Infj in socionics, probably Infp. So if you are interested…

http://wikisocion.net/en/index.php?title=IEI
http://wikisocion.net/en/index.php?title=EII

I recommend that you read the type descriptions of Gulenko, he’s regarded as one of the leading figures of Socionics. The other descriptions are good as well though, it’s just that there are so many.

All in all I think Socionics is superior to MBTI and explains some holes that the MBTI theory has. The only downside is that it’s not as polished and the community is a lot smaller. If you are interested I could link you some information about Model A, this helped me a lot.

2 Likes

Had a feeling you might already be aware of that. His autobiography Memories, Dreams, and Reflections; have you read it? If not yet, it’s a worthwhile read. (Well, I think so, anyway. It’s been almost 30 years since I actually read it. If I can find time, maybe I’ll take it on again.)

That’s very poetically and economically expressed (hence the quote).

2 Likes

@afc22 - oh I am an INFJ alright. I don’t have some of the INFP traits and the differences are pronounced in some cases. Have known about my MBTI type for a couple of years now and my INFJ personality is spot on.

I don’t really view any personality test as superior or inferior to others. I feel that all of them provide different missing pieces to the puzzle even if one can be a subset to the other. And some which are considered “inferior” actually help in creating “superior” stuff.

Having said that, I will definitely check out Socionics. Very intriguing. Thank you.

2 Likes

@Malkuth - Carl Jung’s books are on my to-read list. The ones your mentioned and The Red Book too. By the way, what’s your MBTI type?

1 Like

Here another INTJ! That’s explain many of my issues.

2 Likes

Haven’t made time yet to delve into the Socionics approach. But my sense is that it has its own categories and definitions, not exactly the same as MBTI. So the codes do not mean exactly the same things. That may be why a person can end up with a different code in that system. Anyway, I’ll leave that to someone else who is more familiar with it.

2 Likes

My MBTI type is INFP: dominant function-Introverted Feeling, secondary function-Extraverted Intuition.

yep.

2 Likes

@Malkuth - did you know that most writers are INFPs? I learnt it recently. It’s especially because they know how put in all these character and situational details when they write. And your writing on this forum is the same.

2 Likes

@Malkuth

The below video is an excellent explanation on the topic of “INFJ, INFP and writing” :

3 Likes

Thanks for the great (and therapeutic) video.

Interestingly, two of the INFJ authors he mentioned Hesse and Dostoevsky were very important for me in my youth. Siddhartha by Hesse I was fortunate to read in high school. The Glass Bead Game (Magister Ludi), got to read in my early 20s. They both helped to clarify, systematize, and liberate my imagination and process. Actually, same with Carl Jung himself.

The speaker in the video is quite insightful and discerning about writing in general. That also made the video enjoyable. Hope to watch more.

I can see what he’s saying about the contributions that introverted Feeling combined with Extraverted Intuition and Introverted Sensing could make to certain kinds of writing. That was inspiring, and again, it was therapeutic because I don’t think I’ve ever heard such straight-forwardly laudatory description about what an INFP has, practically, to offer. He really makes it concrete and clear. I know that as I was growing up, I felt largely unseen/unacknowledged, even by benevolent would-be supporters, to the point where I could not remember what my own talents were at times. They wanted to support, but you can’t support what you don’t see. Hopefully some young INFPs can get messages like this when they really need them.

Thanks, @Lion.

4 Likes

You are welcome, @Malkuth. The guy in the video is an INFJ and his brother is an INFP. So that’s why he understands both types perfectly. But yes like you said, he really knows how to explain it perfectly.

I took a lot of encouragement from his advice to INFJ writers since I have the same issues he mentioned about them. Glad that you found the INFP section useful.

The irony is that even though I am an INFJ and I read a lot, I have not read even one book or short story by any of the INFJ authors he (and you) had mentioned. Even though I have heard much about them. Boy am I going to have to correct that.

2 Likes

My second result from the personality was also INFP. I tried different sources and got different results, I’ve been INTJ, INFP & INFJ from doing four different tests. Got INFP two times. I don’t know which one I actually am, I’m kind of all three to be honest although I haven’t studied enough on all three personality types to dive deeper in the pro’s and cons.

3 Likes

@Hermit - my guess is the one you most relate to when that personality type is being discussed.

Have you tried this too:

1 Like

It’s similar to handedness. You can use both hands to complete tasks, but usually either the left or the right is preferred. Under conditions of time-constraint or increased stress, you’ll tend to emphasize the preferred, more intrinsically skilled option. In times of ease, comfort, low-stress, the preferences actually become less pronounced. It’s safer and easier to try out diverse ways of doing things.

So, it can be helpful when evaluating type to imagine that you’re in a situation that is pressing, important, or more time-urgent.

If I’m guessing from the outside, I’d peg you as a bit more on the J end of the continuum. You have a decisive, active, declarativeness to how you tend to interact, present, and express yourself That’s by no means conclusive though. Someone closer to P could also be that way, under certain conditions. So it’s merely a guess.

I find that reading really well-written profiles can be helpful in recognizing one’s type. Especially if you’re a person who enjoys reading and thinking about things. (I like the profiles written by Barbara Barron-Tieger and Paul Tieger in the book Do What You Are).

It’s the extreme features of the profile that are most easily recognizable. The typical challenge areas and ideals/aspirations for each type.

Anyway, there’s no law that says everyone has to follow these things or apply them to our selves and our journeys. Some people find it useful.

4 Likes

I haven’t yet, I still have the tab open, I was going to do it later today.

The thing is my answers on these questions also depend on situation. I’m very much a situational person, so this is where my thinking part comes alive. On the other hand I use my feelings more where I ‘think’ it is necessary. Guess I’m just a complicated person. I’m young so I still have many more years to get to know myself much deeper. Although I do believe I’m very transparant with myself, I definitely know how I operate.

2 Likes

How would you describe the difference between INFP & INFJ or INTP or INTJ?

3 Likes

@Hermit - since am not that good with the differences, will let you know if I can find something that will explain it. Maybe @Malkuth or @Simon will end up explaining the differences between INFJ, INTJ, INFP and INTP better.

2 Likes

One way to approach this is to describe the types in terms of their dominant functions.

Remember: there are four basic psychological functions (Thinking, Feeling, Sensation, Intuition). And all of them are expressed in the introverted domain and in the extraverted domain. So you end up with 8 possible psychological functions. (Extraverted Thinking, Introverted Thinking, Extraverted Feeling, Introverted Feeling, and so on.)

8 Psychological Functions. and 16 Personality Types.

So for every psychological function, there are two personality types that have it as their Primary Function.

Two types have Introverted Feeling as their primary function. These are INFP and ISFP.

Two types have Introverted Thinking as their primary function. These are INTP and ISTP.

INFJs and INTJs have Introverted Intuition as their primary function.

So, the difference between and INFP and INFJ is that they actually have two different dominant functions. They are both Introverts as indicated by the I at the start of the code. This means that their strength, their genius, and their primary comfort zone occurs in the ‘inner’ world of processing, reflection, and contemplation. Introversion is dominant. But within that ‘inner’ world, INFPs process feeling content and process by means of feeling. INFJs process intuitive content (patterns and possibilties) and they process by means of intuition.

These two are processing different things and they’re using different styles to do it.

Same for INTP and INTJ. INTPs are navigating that inner world by means of systems-based organization and analysis. INTJs are navigating that inner world by means of Intuition, with its powerful insights and inspired grasping of pattern and connection.

Look at what your mind naturally does when left to its own devices. That’ll give you a sense of it.

4 Likes

Thanks for the explanation, @Malkuth

2 Likes

I did the test and came out as ISFJ :thinking:

2 Likes