Writer's Corner

Great article! Added.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Scrivener with simple Dictation (Siri) works fine on the iPhone indoors.

Jumping between languages (tested english, german, french) is not a problem. (Pretty good! Dragon e. g. is often set for one language and trains mostly in one.)

Only thing missing is a mic solution that can handle windy noises.

1 Like

“On Being a Dictator”.

I have to revise my first impression. The two authors mostly write about why they like dictating (often sharing an opinion). Which is kinda pointless, as most readers want to (learn to) write while walking anyway. No need to convince them.

The actual writing advice is rather superficial (pantsers vs. plotters etc.)

Most complicated set-up questions (“Which building blocks of the story do you dictate in which order?” Keeping an outline on paper with you to structure your recording etc.) are obsolete with Notes or Scrivener. The tech notes are out of date.

The two key takeaways for me are these:

• If you want to write, build a proper, robust setup and do it anywhere, anytime. Every walk or car drive can be a writer`s hour.

• Once gotten into the flow dictating is a more natural way of writing.

I do not recommend this booklet.

2 Likes

A wonderful recommendation. I loved reading it.

And do any of you use the ultimate writer sub? If so, what are your experiences?

2 Likes

Haven’t tried that yet but it is definitely one of the subs I plan to run in future.

1 Like

Yes! I got it in a custom with A Stark Black Reality. It is one big, dense sub, very comprehensive. No matter how or what you want to write about, RM:UWX got you covered.

For me it needed a bit of time to get rolling.

Probably best to start using Ultimate Writer X, when you are actually writing something.

2 Likes

First impression - Writing While Walking set-up:

• iPhone 13
  • Scrivener
  • Lightning to 3,5mm adapter cable
  • Joby Wavo Lav Pro mic
  • Tiny dead cat

Setup is incredibly easy.
Put everything together, worked instantly.
Voice recognition is good, language hopping not so much, but it isn’t really necessary.

Next up:

• Testing voice rec in windy condition.
  • Scrivener regarding taking notes in a lot different folders w/ dictating.

Using it without sim card to minimize distractions.

1 Like

That’s kinda what I imagined

lv_0_20240425142603

Until I learned what a dead cat ist

1 Like

It is a much smaller cat!

Really not much of an Apple fan, but damn the user-friendliness is delightful.