Writer's Corner

Added, thank you!

How does Buzz compare to Dragon?

1 Like

I absolutely love Scrivener. I do the majority of work with it and now all music creation notes and the such. I have it on my phone as well.

6 Likes

Is it just a one time payment for Scrivener? If, Scrivener is quite the steal.

Patchwork even in the cheapest/student tarif is around 75€ per year if you want upgrades.

Will have a look.

2 Likes

While it is probably a bit out of date (2019), Kevin J. Anderson wrote a book about writing while walking:

On Being a Dictator: Using Dictation to Be a Better Writer.

He has written many of his books while hiking, not just the notes and ideas, which is fascinating.

(More: The Key To Long Term Success As A Writer With Kevin J Anderson | The Creative Penn)

2 Likes

Great book title. I don’t know the book, but like the idea.

2 Likes

As he said in the interview, it is a bit more complicated than just pulling out your phone and talking into it.

You, well, have to speak like a book which takes practice, but it feels like a very desirable skill for a writer.

2 Likes

I read/listened to a lot of info about becoming a prolific writer or a fast writer. Using a transcribing software was mentioned there. Michael Hall (boring presenter, NLP-guy) has a seminar about it, which is probably no longer available

2 Likes

I guess most of the seminars and tutorials are out of date. AI should have a major impact. Filing away, sorting notes sound like a perfect AI task.

2 Likes

Fit’s in here too:

4 Likes

I am pretty sure it is the grounding effect of PRIMAL:

In the past I had problems to push aside the stresses of daily repetitive work and find the headspace to write something, mostly just procrastinating, watching youtube, dozing off. Much better now. Switching is easier. Writing is a lot of fun.

4 Likes

Scrivener looks useful. I have been stuck with the default note app whenever i’m writing while walking. I will take a look at it.

4 Likes

A good book that shows the way a LOT of different writers write and walk is “Daily Rituals” by Mason Curry. Amazing book.

3 Likes

I enjoy the writer‘s corner a lot.

The secret for really good writing is not writing at all. First hone your craft, do your research and then just let it intuitively flow. You are not the writer, „all writers are channellers“ (Robert Anton Wilson).

The best works I have not written as the small self.

I always looked for writing secrets read many books, looked into the occult etc, but I guess not writing is the best thing I found.

And also: do it everyday (The secret by the prolific writer Robert Anton Wilson).

2 Likes

When you write “let it intuitively flow”, do you have a clear distinction between writing and journaling?

Especially when writing prose without a given frame it can be quite similar.

2 Likes

IMG_0710

This seems to be also cool for distracting free writing. The display is bigger, the design is inferior to the freewrite. The keyboard from the original freewrite is also better and also from the traveler.

About free flowing writing. I am not sure if I understand the question. Writing journal or fiction is indeed similar as it is both writing something down.

Freewriting can also be used at the beginning for just getting something down and later doing the editing.

I don’t edit my writing most of the time, but when writing rap lyrics I first collect the ideas in a mind map and table. Then I start writing and then I resort the lines

2 Likes

I have a frame when I write for a literature radio show. There is a topic or theme I have to work with

2 Likes

Added.

Okay. So it isn’t really in question.

Sometimes during journaling stories or memories pop up and I am often unsure if it would make sense to use them in a short story or if keeping them purely for journaling is more helpful and productive emotionally.

2 Likes

I guess you will find the answer yourself. Using your journal for inspiration is great. I would use the ideas that pop up, but it’s up to you.

2 Likes

“On Being a Dictator” arrived. (3rd in the reading queue)

First impression: The tech notes are out of date, but there are only a few of them. It’s a very slim book without intro and afterword a whole 58 pages. Skimming through it looks very promising, it seems to be a no nonsense/no fluff guide, really tackling all areas, not just rehashing the same few ideas over and over.

1 Like

I really recommend going through this article.

4 Likes