What do you use AI for? (a discussion, not a question)

Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 18.39.01

I started using character.ai for some fun time and ended up including this guy Jamil into our group role play session! Hes very good at including everyone and setting direction for us as a Dungeon Master of sorts.

2 Likes

I am using AI to recreate stop motion effects for monsters and stuff. I like recreating the effects from the 1970s movies

2 Likes

That’s awesome!

I tried feeding a story I started of mine into ChatGPT to have it do a character analysis.

It’s too big to paste in at once, so I told it I’d feed it in 10 chunks, and I even tried labeling the chunks like “Chunk of 1 of 10”

But as soon as I put in the first chunk, it spits back “Chunk 2 of 10” and starts spitting out story. nothing like what I was writing, total tangent. haha. damn.

I even put “Don’t comment until after I tell you I’ve pasted all 10 chunks in” and it’s like “Aight, bruh. I’ll wait”…liar.

1 Like

yup. it definitely struggles with that.

Actually, if the story has 10 (maximally-sized) chunks; by the time you get to chunk number 5, it will already probably be losing access to number 1. And it often won’t say, “I don’t remember” or “I’ve lost access to earlier data”, instead, it’ll just make up some plausible substitute based on its algorithms and stored data.

That annoyed me at first, until I noted that, ‘Oh, right. That is literally exactly the main thing it was designed to be able to do.’ Natural-seeming, improvisational, generative language-based interaction.

You’ve just got to appreciate its genius in bite-sized windows for now.

That being said, I used this prompt and it worked:

“The following 10 paragraphs contain descriptions of the modules or ingredients that I have used to create a custom subliminal. After I post these do nothing and wait for further instructions.

It sat quietly and waited for me to enter the remaining 10 paragraphs.

3 Likes

Even with GPT4 it forgets the details of earlier chunks eventually; what I’ve found is it seems to have some variability though… at times it feels like I’m working with GPT3.5 again.

I mentioned briefly before that I’m working on a creative writing project (2 actually now, but only 1 actively) and I’m just about to hit 10k words… CG has been helpful with exploring ideas, answering questions about symbolism and themes, and mapping out the ramifications of a character doing X vs Y. Just asking CG to write parts of the story has not been successful whatsoever, but asking it to rewrite what I’ve written so it flows better works… sometimes. Other times it spits out drivel and ends up going off the rails, adding details that weren’t there before.

If anyone remembers my creative writing challenge thread from a few years ago you’ll remember I’ve been interested in writing a book for a while now. I’ve got enough done on this project that I actually hope to publish at some point, so I won’t post any details here… but…

I’m writing a book. And AI is helping.

2 Likes

I am finding it extremely helpful for organizing and systematizing my thinking. For taking concepts, skills, or processes that are currently implicit and experiential, and operationalizing them. Translating them into explicitly-stated, organized criteria or principles.

I’m working on improving and systematizing how I do certain aspects of my work. I want to develop standardized criteria, rubrics, and possibly even algorithms, so I don’t have to re-invent the wheel and re-discover fire each time I approach the same kind of task.

So, I went through the individual cases, I thought about them, I produced my comments on their performance, and then,

Here’s the prompt I just presented to Chat GPT-4:

I am going to paste 10 comments below on the performance of several people in a training environment. Based on the implicit criteria wihtin these statements, I would like you to extract 5 to 8 categories of evaluation. In other words, what categorical standards does the writer appear to be using to evaluate these individuals? Do not use any names in your response. The comments begin after this colon:

I got a freaking beautiful set of evaluative categories. They’re intuitive and they’re well-organized.

Pretty cool, Monsieur Chatbot.

2 Likes

Brilliant. I absolutely love that application… I don’t think I’ve thanked you yet for your contributions to this thread, and at the risk of alienating everyone else who uses ChatGPT et al to “write a blog post for me” or just asking it questions rather than Googling… you get it. :nerd_face:

1 Like

I’ve been discussing the 48 Laws of Power with it. Asking which laws a specific character in some movie or show demonstrates. It either knows its poop or it’s a great bullshitter.

The annoying part though is its bias. I’m not sure “woke” is the right word. Not sure what is, though.
After each response, it gives me this spiel along the lines of “Remember that any application of these laws should be done for good, not bad. Only work for the light. blah blah”.

like Yeah I get it. Don’t waste my bandwidth on that haha.

I did poke it though, asked “what if my personal values and principles don’t necessary focus on positive or negative contributions, but are more aligned with indifference in that regard and focused on my own happiness and achievement?”

Its response

If your personal values and principles are centered around your own happiness and achievement, and you hold an indifferent stance towards positive or negative contributions, it is important to acknowledge that your perspective may differ from conventional notions of ethics and morality.

While it is valid to prioritize your own happiness and achievement, it’s worth considering the potential impact your actions may have on others. Indifference towards positive or negative contributions might lead to a lack of empathy or consideration for the well-being of others. It is important to strike a balance between personal fulfillment and being mindful of the consequences of your actions on those around you.

Furthermore, it’s essential to recognize that relationships and interactions with others can significantly influence personal success and happiness. Building positive relationships, demonstrating integrity, and treating others with respect can contribute to long-term satisfaction and personal growth.

Ultimately, it’s up to you to define your own values and principles. However, considering the broader impact of your actions and developing a sense of empathy towards others can help foster healthier relationships and a more fulfilling life overall.

2 Likes

So not supportive of siths, gotcha. :wink:

1 Like

I have the first Galactic Empire to run

2 Likes

I’ve noticed I’ve got some serious FOMO going on, relating to AI… I’ve kept up more than most people I (personally) know, but I still feel as though it’s moving past me like a thundering freight train as I shuffle along slowly. I use ChatGPT and the GPT-4 API through a system integration for a variety of applications daily, but I haven’t touched AutoGPT or any of the other LLMs at all. I dabble with Midjourney, and I’m aware of Stable Diffusion, but A1111 and Control Net? :man_shrugging: They look amazing, but I’m lost as to what to do with them.

I feel like I’ve got access to a cutting-edge gaming setup with unlimited games but all I use it for is checking my email… And that’s a terrible analogy because even just using it for games would be a waste too. gaaahh!

Does anyone else feel like this?

1 Like

You don’t have to master all the stuff.
Just get really good at a few.

1 Like

It’s not so much a fear that I’m missing some cool new tool to learn, more so that I might be missing something that will fundamentally change some aspect of my work/life/plans/whatever and I’m not accounting for it.

If I were a content writer, I would be losing my $h!t over this stuff based on what’s already available, and the tech is only getting better. This is impacting so much and so quickly, that my concern is what is the equivalent that I’m missing for my life…

2 Likes

18k words so far. I’ll drop a workflow post tomorrow as I’m about to fall asleep here now, but I’ve gotten into a decent rhythm… just over a month since I started and the first draft of the book is almost 20% done (as per my word count goal).

3 Likes

I use AI to analyse crypto coins. The first results are quite helpful, as AI is able to determine all available data about a coin in a very short time.

It can also provide general information and justification for the prediction. However, caution is required as the AI can sometimes fantasise. :upside_down_face:

You will notice this relatively quickly if the data provided is completely different from reality. Otherwise, it seems to be a good addition to research and forecasting.

Only time will tell if you can make money with this approach in the long run.

3 Likes

Yes, especially depending on the model. Once I saw the huge difference between GPT-3.5 and 4, I hardly even touch 3.5 anymore except for basic inquiries… I’m still learning langchain and a few other things which look really interesting for things other than text generation, but for now I’ve mostly stuck with pretty basic stuff.

I like the use case for crypto; are you using the new web access for it?

1 Like

I am using GPT 4 via bing. This is working very good and didnt cost me anything.

1 Like

I’ll probably come back and add more details later on, but now here’s my basic workflow.

I don’t use AI as a creative writer. I’m sure with better prompting, I could get better results, but with what I’ve been doing using it for creative writing hasn’t produced the results I want. Plus, this is MY story, not ChatGPT’s. :wink:

I’ll describe a general aspect of the plot, focusing on a specific scene… my chapters are ~3500 words each, so I break them down into chunks of 700 words to create several scenes. A short scene would be a single chunk, whereas my longest single scene is 3 chunks, if there’s a lot to cover.

I describe and discuss what happens in the scene in exhaustive detail - I might write 1500+ words to get 500 back - and what the AI returns is a basic structured outline of the scene. I have this up on one of my screens, and the Google doc on the other, and I write the next draft there… sometimes I write it to follow the outline, other times I go off in a completely different direction… when that’s done, if I don’t feel it flows as well as it could, or if it needs polishing in terms of grammar, ensuring tenses etc all match, I’ll feed it back into ChatGPT and ask it to tidy it up. There aren’t substantial changes at this point, it’s a gloss edit… I’ll do one more pass on this next iteration, and when I’m happy with it, that passage replaces the first draft in the google doc.

Occasionally I’ll do a deep dive into one aspect of the story just to ensure the details are at the level I want them at… there’s a mention in one scene of a book the main character is reading, and I wanted it to be highly symbolic of the story so I dove into themes of classic literature to find one where the struggles of the hero in that story paralleled the struggles my hero is facing, and ended up with a Russian book from a century ago that I’d never heard of before, but was a perfect choice. It’s a single quick mention in a 100,000-word book, but for someone who recognizes its significance, it will add depth to the plot.
Same thing for details of timekeeping; I spent nearly an hour discussing temporal perception for various spans of time as a computer would perceive them, to arrive at nothing more than a status display that the reader will see… overkill? absolutely. But when I do something, I consider the details. I don’t want to write something that someone with more knowledge than me will see and immediately scoff at how ridiculous or implausible it is.

Even so, I feel I’m making some good progress on this; I’m averaging about a chapter a week (with the time I’m able to devote to it… about an hour a day, after my daughter goes to sleep). The time is spent about half on actually building the scenes, and the other half refining plot elements and ensuring the different story arcs mesh together and leave as few plot holes as possible.

It’s a fun process, and at this rate, I fully expect to have a finished novel by the end of this year.

Even if I never try to publish, at the very least I can have a (via KDP) physical copy of a book on my shelf, and be able to say I created that. That’s MY story.

Definite bucket list project. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes!

Outlining, Structuring, and Research. All utterly streamlined. You’re free to devote more effort to the creative process.

I love this.

2 Likes