TENET — thoughts?

hahaha. That’s a pretty broad-brush stroke. I hope the Batman suit is not included in that category. hahaha. I mean it’s a suit, yes, but…

TENET has a black man in a suit. Significantly desexualized. But then all of the men in this movie save one are desexualized, and that one is virulently pathological with it (and also happens to give the best performance in the movie…mere coincidence?)

I’ll never blame an artist for channeling their issues, their limitations, and their imagination into their works. What I choose to do with all of those is up to me. Took a while for me to see things that way, but now that I do, I’m somewhat more flexible with what I’ll appreciate (SOMETIMES).

wow hahaha. a stark picture of Nolan is emerging.

I’m not aware of that element in TENET.

Which makes me think of another point. Nolan really did not take much advantage of the full palette of Washington’s dramatic potential in this movie. There’s one scene which contains dialogue something like this:

Primary Antagonist (with quiet menace): Enough. Just tell me, have you slept with my wife?

Primary Protagonist (smiling): No. I haven’t slept with your wife…yet.

hahaha. Those two lines say so much about how these two people are approaching each other and that situation. It tells you something about their relationships and attitudes to violence.

Putting aside for the moment how stone-cold that exchange is (I think it was a really well-written moment that ended up being kind of wasted), it’s an example of a line of dialogue in the movie that Washington (playing the primary protagonist) delivers perfectly. He had the emotional potential to portray exactly the kind of character who could pull off such an attitude. And it worked for those 30 seconds. But the overall emotional landscape of the movie was just pretty flat. It’s like the movie couldn’t quite choose between Epic Forces, Individual Passions, or Both. So some of the characters’ motivations ended up seeming a bit myopic or narcissistic.

anyway. my brain’s probably going to keep chewing on this one for a bit longer.

1 Like

Interesting concept, but the execution was a bit forced.
Are you guys working on a time reversal ultima? :wink:

1 Like

Watch this. It’s from 2018. Just 7 minutes.

this was too funny not to post

SNARK in the service of good.

contains Is basically one long spoiler.

in an ironic twist, this may be the most complete and well-done summarization of the plot of TENET.

1 Like