Supplements for sleep.?

I use performance lab sleep.

They are ok but still leaves me a liiiitle groggy in the morning.

I’ve found that CDB oil with a few mg of melatonin + a dissolvable magnesium supplement + some lavender smell works better.

The tea mentioned in the first minute of this vids works surprisingly well for me as well, but it breaks your fast if you’re doing IF:

1 Like

I was just about to pull the trigger on perfomance lab sleep. I can handle being a little groggy as long as it doesn’t linger around longer than normal morning grogginess.

Grogginess aside, do you feel better rested using it?

I don’t know about great, but I use a combo like @mvargo… a timed-release melatonin supplement, magnesium, and a sleepy time tea.

Probably going to try adding CBD oil now. Never thought to before.

Beyond supplements, have you tried implementing other sleep hygiene protocols in tandem?

Like dimming the lights in the evening, stopping work and winding down a good amount of time before sleep, eating dinner at least a few hours before sleep, stretching, mediation, etc.?

I try to do all that, but I’m not consistent about it, so my sleep quality varies.

Here’s a random bit of info I recently picked up but haven’t tried: boiling orange peels and drinking that before sleep is supposed to be great for getting good rest.

You guys hear about that before?

I’ll probably try it this weekend and report back.

Glycine.

Mix in tea before bed

1 Like

Don’t think so - for me it helps me falling asleep but I haven’t noticed an improvement in sleep quality. if I could consistently fall asleep quickly and easily, I wouldn’t take it.

1 Like

i found out that after using subs i sleep much much better
i can sleep for 5 hours and be up for the day

breathwork before bed will help you deeply relax

1 Like

Sleep hacking is a huge interest of mine, as I’ve had trouble sleeping for years.

Here’s what I do:

At dinner (7pm-ish), I’ll take a 500mg GABA supplement with my dinner supplement stack.

At bedtime, 11-11:30pm, I take my bedtime stack:

• 500mg GABA (yes, another one)
  • 3x magnesium caps (which contains 700mg magnesium glycinate, 1g magnesium l-threonate and 600mg magnesium taurate)
  • 250mg l-theanine
  • 3mg fast dissolving melatonin

I typically stop looking at any screens 30-45 mins before bed, though lately I’ve been watching Netflix until 11 or so and haven’t had any issues falling asleep. I used to wear Falcon-esque red goggles to block all blue light after 9pm, but that got a bit much and honestly, I don’t have difficulty falling asleep without them.

I use an Oura ring to track my sleep and other activity, and it’s been quite enlightening. How I feel doesn’t always correlate to how well the ring thinks I slept. The major correlation is the amount of deep sleep… if it’s less than 1hr I feel crappy, but if it’s much more than 2h I feel groggy. For example last night I got 56 minutes of deep sleep (vs 1:43 of REM) and I had to drag myself out of bed today.

I wear 34dB earplugs and a sleep mask, but I can still hear small sounds clearly enough to be awoken by them… I have annoyingly sensitive hearing. (and yep, I am using the earplugs correctly) I wake up quite easily, as I tend to be in a state of “hypervigilance”… not ideal.

I should also note that I don’t use an alarm of any sort, I wake up either naturally or when my daughter lets us know she’s awake.

I’ve also had hypnosis to help me get to sleep faster. That’s worked quite well, but it doesn’t address all of the issues that relate to the quality of the sleep.

The biggest contributors to my sleep quality are the hypervigilance, as well as some aches and pains. I’ve had back issues for years, which extends to my hips. I was hit by a car (I was a pedestrian…) years ago and have had issues since then. I’m also highly sensitive to gluten, and last night I mistakenly bought burgers that had wheat crumbs in the patties… couldn’t get comfortable last night, every joint ached.

The only thing that’s really worked is a sleep supplement from Canada that has since been pulled off the market. Even CBD is only marginally effective, but perhaps I just need to find a better brand. I used to drink sleepy time tea, but then I need to wake up super early to pee which kind of defeats the purpose of getting a long stretch of good sleep lol.

With all that mass of text out of the way… I’m super excited for any new recommendations to try!

3 Likes

Chamomile tea is ready good before bed.

Also I read a few days ago that cherries are good as they have some melatonin in them.

Tart cherries… but eating whole cherries just for a tiny bit of melatonin isn’t ideal as this also raises blood sugar, which can wake you up when it spikes and then drops sometime in the night.

1 Like

Thank you posting your research and ideas! WOW!

1 Like

I know some people think valerian root is great.

1 Like

Works for me, the tea at least. It has a funky scent but that helped me during my most stressful week.

https://www.amazon.com/Enhanced-Labs-Supplement-Bodybuilding-Calming-L-Theanine/dp/B08BG7TD93

I mean I use this whenever I want to go to sleep earlier or to fix my sleep schedule works well for me. Wouldn’t use it everyday tho and probably half a scoop would be a good idea when you start. Only issue is you do feel a bit groggy when you wake up.

Youtube has tons of stuff on techniques to help you sleepl Everything from breathing exercises, to acupressure points etc. They’re free. I say try them out first while you’re waiting to buy your first supplement.

For me phenibut specifically does wonders for a good night sleep.

1 Like

@lovage do you find phenibut interferes with the sub processing ?

How does that work? Is it a meditation type thing? or different?

Not with the processing, no.
But it changes your behaviour for sure; I remember back in the day running Emperor v2 while supplementing with Pheni during the day for that extra focus and oh man! the confidence of Emperor and lack of worries, mood and intelligence boost I got from pheni. UNSTOPPABLE!

1 Like

I recall emperor V2 and phenibut worked very well.

That’s something I’ve been meaning to try for a long time. Is it habit-forming? And does frequent use build up a tolerance?

I did quite a bit of reading before starting it. Tolerance is built withing a matter of days, but that is OK. If you follow some ground rules, it’s an easy ride. I did it for about one year and never had any issues.
My rules were:

1. Once I find the right dose, NEVER EVER increase the dose. If I don’t feel the same effects, that’s fine, but never increase the dose to feel the same
  2. Avoid consecutive days. If you do have 2 consecutive days, the third one is ALWAYS OFF
  3. At least 2 days consecutive days off every week, for me it was usually weekends

This got me through some really rough times at the office, always cheerful and focused on solutions and sleeping like a baby.

2 Likes