Seneca on Expectancy

I’ve been thinking about “expecting results” the last couple days, and admittedly since I started this month I feel like I think about subliminals a little too much, rather than having those sessions and then detaching from it and go about my work.

I came across a nice quote in Seneca’s “On The Shortness of Life” that I am currently reading and think it’s relatable. I thought I’d share with you all.

The greatest obstacle to living is expectancy, which hangs upon tomorrow and loses today. You are arranging what lies in Fortune’s control, and abandoning what lies in yours. What are you looking at? To what goal are you straining? The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” - Seneca

For me, personally, this is so fitting to the work I am doing and it’s a great statement on taking action. I consider “arranging what lies in Fortune’s control” as the subliminals, and perhaps even reducing that time and letting Fortune do it’s thing while I take immediate action on what lies in my control and compliments my goals.

It’s true that to make sweeping changes in your life and to even understand what subliminals are most appropriate for yourself, it takes time to “arrange” and plan. Reading this last night though, was a wake up call for me that I have done plenty of arranging and planning and should now move into a strictly “operational” stage for a specific amount of time (for me I’m saying 2 cycles worth) and then analyze the results. My journal can be considered the “monitoring phase”.

It almost makes me want to map out a subliminal journey against an SDLC method (software development life cycle). Afterall, we are upgrading our hardware with these software modules, right?
:floppy_disk: :brain: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes