Philosophical Question on Knowledge

I have been recently been thinking about this question about “knowing”. I believe that once I grasp the concept of the question, I will be able to understand how my subconscious mind works more.

Specially paging @Malkuth for his insights.

How do we exactly “know” something?

I would like to raise the example of the day of the week. How do you “know” that today is Sunday, and not Tuesday or Thursday or Friday?

Do you know it is Sunday because you knew that yesterday was Saturday? Or because you were thinking about the next day the night before you slept which was a Saturday? Or because you saw a group of people dressing up to go to church in the morning.

How is this “knowledge” that today is Sunday communicated to your conscious mind? Is there a inner voice telling you that today is Sunday and so you should engage in certain activities? Or do you just have some kind of gut feeling that today is Sunday because yesterday was Saturday?

How often in your waking hours during the whole of Sunday do you tell yourself that today is Sunday? Or do you just go about your day knowing that it is Sunday without being reminded about it?

Memory and imagination.

The explicit and implicit functions of memory.

Just making some quick notes of what the underlying themes here seem to be. I’ll come back to it later.

Briefly, though, I agree with Buddhist cosmology in framing ‘knowing/thinking’ as one of the senses.

Imagination is Memory. Memory is imagination.

Knowing is the basic activity of consciousness. Sentience. Cognizance.

The mind cannot help knowing. This is the expression of its nature. Now as to the accuracy, fidelity, or utility of the knowings that it generates, that’s another story.

Many people ‘knew’ for example that the Earth was a flat, unmoving disc around which heavenly bodies, including the stars, were flying.

Alright. Hopefully we build something elegant and coherent out of this later. Our own semiological paper airplane.

There are actually people who devote their lives and careers to addressing just one facet of the questions you are raising here, @King.

(@Malkuth then proceeds to try to address these questions despite the fact that he is not one of those people)

You’re standing at the crossroads of philosophy and psychology. Epistemology.

Personally, I imagine ‘knowings’ as patterns of sensations, or narratives that are generated by minds (in concert with various processes in the internal and external environments).

We can take your example:

The seven-day week apparently arose out of some of our ancestors observing the changing phases of the moon and dividing them into four equal periods. These became ‘weeks’. And of course when combined with that most intuitive unit of time passage here on earth, the day, we ended up with 4 7-day weeks in a month. (With a day or two thrown in to keep things properly synchronized.) The Sumerians were the first ones to historically document and codify that system. But that’s just what’s observable through historical documents. Prior to Netflix (and electricity), the skies were probably the best show that there was. People may have come up with that 7-day week system long before it was ever officially written down.

But the point is that it is a system that human beings made up. Like everything else we do.

We just make it up out of our imaginations. Add it to the narrative. And now it becomes a ‘fact’ to be ‘known’.

So then you end up with jokes like:

A: The 7-day week was invented by the Ancient Sumerians 4300 years ago.
B: Damn! So how did people know what day it was before then?

I like to think of so-called ‘knowing’ as the human equivalent of a spider’s web.

We spin and craft these structures around us in order to give ourselves a sense of security, fixity, and a place to live. Of course, they work much better if we never acknowledge that we were the ones who made them. More effective to imagine that they somehow just arose out of nature, or floated down out of the skies. Why? They seem more real and legit that way.

As Groucho Marx said, ‘I’d never want to belong to any club that would accept someone like me as a member!’ So, instead, we have a long history of creating FACTS and then projecting their origins out to some mysterious far away source. It’s a very human thing to do.

Anyway, as we look at the history of knowledge and ideas, it often begins to seem like this:

(OFTEN)
It is not that we know things because they are true;
It is, rather, often the case that things are true because we know them.

Very well-said.

Well, I wrote something like this a while back. We often forget that we create our own narratives as humans. And on many occasions, we forget that we do, and we wonder why our lives are so miserable and so pathetic.

It’s also a reason why I personally feel astrology is a waste of time because a basic assumption that is needed for the astrological narrative to become relevant for us is that we have to believe that our destiny is controlled by an external power and that there are things that we cannot change in our life no matter how hard we try.

But if our current lives are created by our own narratives, doesn’t that mean that we have full control over our destiny? Why spend time creating trouble for ourselves by creating some faulty narratives from the movements of stars, or tea leaves or whatever?

I would be honest to myself and say that I still have problems trying to reconcile beliefs that I am in full control vs the belief that there is an external power shaping my life. However, I think it’s just a matter of time when my thinking can move more towards the former.

The DNA in my body can produce a living human body; but I’d never want to see any human being that was consciously designed by me.

So now, here you come to the difference between our conscious and non-conscious parts.

Our non-conscious aspects are connected to levels of genius far beyond what we experience consciously.

Your body has bilateral symmetry, binocular vision, multi-systemic homeostasis. Why is imagining other pattern-based systems such a stretch?

That’s a question I’d like to know the answer to.

I would rather frame it this way though, “Why is imagining the pattern-based system I want such a stretch?”

There many jokes like this which have a deeper meaning beyond what humans contemplate.

Reminds me of the question about how the koala bears in Australia got to Noah’s Ark in the Middle East. Did they swim over?

1 Like

Work with what you’ve got, to get what you want

Wu Wei

Utilize the existing momentum to carry you closer to your desired trajectory

Yin and Yang

Not just one or the other

1 Like

I imagine one thing astrology is supposed to show (Vestigial Divination), is if the person applies the archetypal, human phenomena source/origin, thus imaginary, is controlled by the forces of an archetype. The shine of (venus) was inspirational for the strongest demon, and lunatics controlled by a dead rock cannot see half of the month and thus lose much of their (mana). Much like the tides, the world no longer runs off a corpse, but a living one (Gold), is just trading one for another based on the archetype of utilitarianism.

sadly, i actually understood that

:wink:

i want to tell you how poetic that was, but I’m also worried that will encourage you.

1 Like

Fortunately, I don’t.

Maybe that’s why I think it’s better I don’t spot patterns that I don’t want to see.

Have you been running Ultimate Writer?

Did you forget to take out an “l” from the word in brackets?

2 Likes

Ultimate Derivative

1 Like