Pay attention to Forum Ambassadors

Thank you for clarifying. If a Forum Ambassador is on ignore, then it follows that any warning or input that Forum Ambassador gives will be ignored (albeit unintentionally).

Moderators are the like the sheriffs, and the Forum Ambassadors are like deputies. This is why they are here. Just as the sheriffs should be listened to, deputies are as well.

We would not have people in these positions if we were concerned about them going on a power trip and causing problems for people. As SC grows, there will be more and more people here, so keeping up with the forum, we need more attention to the forum from others who are willing to help.

These concerns about this forum becoming some sort of malevolent dictatorship because of enforcing certain rules has already been addressed. It’s not dichotomous: either a malevolent dictatorship where at any given moment people are banned on a whim (bad), or a forum that is totally free without any monitoring (good).

What about the times when we were lenient to others? How many times have we given people second, third, and fourth chances? How many times have we tolerated certain things because we kept hoping a certain person would “come around” or “turn over a new leaf”? How many times have people more or less been wanting us to ban certain people, or been relieved when we finally did ban someone? I don’t think anyone was worried about us acting in an authoritarian manner of running the forum when some people were continually acting disrespectfully and disruptively. In fact, there were members who felt relieved when we finally did take decisive action such as banning someone.

We are here to ensure respect and thriving. We monitor ourselves. We also monitor each other. None of us are power hungry.

5 Likes

I disagree a lot with what has been said but you guys do you

All the best :pray:t3:

I must say that your image editing skills are incredible. Please change my username to DarkPhilosophersSon-ako as a token of appreciation.

2 Likes

Ah, the good old days just a few years ago when I was still Forum Ambassador and everybody could ignore me but nobody ever even considered it a necessary thing. I was just like another user but I loved telling people about subliminals and self development matters. And sometimes I just loved hearing myself type.

Now, a few odd years later we’ve got so many more users, some of them incidental and accidental trolls, we have a society which is turning the tiniest things into massive campaigns, but we still have to consider how we can make this forum a favorite vacation destination for as many users as possible.

So, just as our subliminals have evolved, our forum has evolved, and society has devolved oops, evolved, so our jobs have also evolved. First, there were 2 admins. Then, there were 2 admins and a Forum Ambassador. Then we added a Consultant. Then the Forum Ambassador became Forum Moderator (after extensive begging and whining of course). Then the Consultant as well (after considerably less begging and whining probably). And now we have a group of unpaid interns sorry, Forum Ambassadors helping out.

The way things work hasn’t really changed though. Before, we investigated all flags thoroughly, re-reading the thread, looking at the user profile for patterns of behavior and so on. We do still do that sometimes. But with the forum as big as it is, we also trust our Ambassadors to have done some of the leg work for us, so when they alert us we trust they do so for a reason. And if they alert us to somebody abusive after they’ve cautioned that user repeatedly, we won’t be as conflicted as we usually are about whether or not that user deserves a time-out.

And on top of that, the Ambassadors were chosen for multiple reasons, like never losing their cool even during recon, or having given a lot of what we consider good advice, having explained over and over how to use our products, and even for having a LOT of experience buying our products and building customs.

They all have something to contribute, so I would recommend at least listening to what they have to tell you. If after that you choose to forget, that’s entirely up to you. As long as you behave, nobody will bully you for not listening to their advice.

Why thank you, I started working on it 4 hours ago when you posted it. Especially the text and arrows took a long time.

Very tempting to call your bluff and indeed change your username, but you know how I feel about doing that. I guess you’re in luck, duck. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I love that you keep calling me Brendan :sob:

6 Likes

Look, @RVconsultant has probably edited 20 of my posts or more for using cuss words.
Initially I thought similarly to you, but I realized that this didnt really add anything to what I was saying.

For example, everyone loves Tony Robbins, right?
But the thing that still pisses many people off about him is that he uses the F bombs MASSIVELY.
Does it add anything to what he’s saying? More punch? Maybe. But you could use other words for that.

What I am trying to convey is, you don’t NEED these words to make a point.
I realized this myself.

Now you could say you rather do this anyway, and this is fine, but then you will have to restrain yourself on the forum. Because it’s not mine, it’s not yours, it’s SC’s forum and they decided to keep it as civil as possible.

Also, i had a bunch of people on ignore (about 3) when I took the FA position. I undid all ignores because I thought, “Is it really helping me to put people on ignore? To not see their posts? Or would it help me more to see them, try to help them, and not be phazed by it?”

Would that make me grow as a person, potentially?

Just something to think about. and something I still deal with :wink:

4 Likes

It’s actually more organic than it seems.

I think it may in fact have been the other way around.

For example, @Invictus kept sharing insights and making these informative posts to help people. Saint might have seen that and said, ‘hey, why don’t we put an official label on that?’ Invictus then says, ‘Sounds great!’ and continues sharing insightful, informative posts.

In my case, experiences and ideas bang around inside of me for awhile, and then every so often, it ends up with a little Lego sculpture, and I share it on here.

I’m not the only one. I find that when I read posts of people’s experiences, thoughts, and challenges, it tends to catalyze ideas that have been lying dormant in me. And there’s this whole intuition, higher self, subconscious thing that happens where we just make connections, and download insights. Haha
shout-out to you yourself, @Sage_Ninjistic.

Anyway, may our insights, hypotheses, and, most importantly, results continue to flow!

6 Likes

Umm… RVC, which one of us condoned his Ambassadorship again? :wink:

About your Tony story. I like a Twitch streamer who curses a lot, so much that even I find it excessive. At some point somebody commented on it and she explained that most streamers say “fudge” and “jeepers” and things like that all the time because every time they curse, places like YT and Twitch deduct some of their income. Given how much she curses, I figured it’s not about the money for her and immediately subbed for another year, swearing and all.

You have a point there. Sometimes I simply stop reading a thread because 1/10th of it contains the message, the rest is just unnecessary. The end result is the gut-reaction being “What are you trying to say here?”

If that happens in journals, I unsubscribe from that thread and never look back unless there’s flags. But in Questions & Comments I have to stick around and it can be exhausting. If this were Discord I might get it, but on a forum where you can think and think before ever hitting the Reply button, I don’t get it.

At the core, I don’t believe we (SubClub) have really changed all that much in terms of how we moderate. I am still as strict now as I was when I became moderator. RVC is at times still conflicted on whether or not to correct people and Saint may be a little bit faster with the ban-hammer because he really doesn’t like it when the forum takes up his sub-writing time, but not by all that much.

As far as listening rules and such go, if you switched from an electric bicycle to an overpowered motorcycle the way you handle it must also change. Our subs have become more powerful, and as such the way you handle them has to change. There should be no surprise there.

I think the environment has changed a lot more than we have, and so we have to act more often. We’ve become more visible. Just because you get frustrated out there, doesn’t give you permission to come to our house and make a hot mess without so much as an apology.

Hopefully it’ll blow over and society stops looking to victimize itself over everything. That will then affect the forum as well and we can finally all sit back on the porch and listen to our subs in peace. For the recommended amount of loops, of course.

3 Likes

@Invictus @Lion congrats gentlemen :wine_glass: happy you guys will be helping move the forum forward.

2 Likes

I’m not on here as often anymore but I do try to be respectful of the questions asked even if I don’t agree with whatever. Everyone has their own path and goals. It isn’t my place to pass judgment. Just hopefully lend an experienced hand
It honestly feels like this forum has been here for longer than four years

2 Likes

:rofl: that was savage

2 Likes