Napoleon Hill Teachings

After reading up a lot on Napoleon Hills teachings I have found that most of his teachings are out dated and very little applies to the new world.

I will use one example to illustrate my point. Napoleon Hill teaches that you should treat people the way you want to be treated. In today’s world this will lead to you being used for your nice and kind nature. This could also be one of my negative beliefs that are surfacing.

What do you guys think of those personal development gurus like Earl Nightingale etc?

Most of their information makes perfect sense to me and I was and partly doing the opposite of their teaching because I was uninitiated.

If you look of the idea of setting goals by Napoleon Hill, that is extremely relevant in today’s world.

Note : I am not asking for truth or validity on a specific person or guru but rather their teaching and concepts and the relevance in today’s world.

2 Likes

Most of them are scam artists, who collect ideas they know you will agree with, and package those in entertaining/motivating language.

Napoleon Hill was also one of them.

He did a better job putting together more ideas in one book; and hence is more referred to than other gurus who tend to be so lazy as to bring less than half of TAGR in their published works.

I can’t think of any other book that covers Planning, Specialization, Creativity, and Persistence alongside Desire, Faith, Fears, and Suggestion. TAGR goes into even more.

:+1:t2:

Most of the personal development concepts are about as valid today as they were, at any other time.

7 Likes

"Treat people the way you want to be treated" aka The Golden Rule is possibly over 3000 years old, and mostly valid.

Do you really want people to be nice to you … to a self-sacrificing degree?
Do you want to feel like you are using people?

If you don’t, then you don’t have to do the same for others either.

:wink:

7 Likes

Everything has been said already.

Mostly.

So the whole sphere is mostly regurgitated old stuff.
Hence the surface of personal brands. People want to hear their personal stories. Not retold platitudes.

It’s still valid imo.
What you give into the universe is what you get out.
Just if you’re being nice to your old circle, then you’ll most likely be abused. Being nice to the right people will get you far.

Hill still one of my favorites. Especially Outwitting the Devil is an absolute staple any man should read.

3 Likes

Yeah. I read it THREE times in a year of it’s release. :ok_hand:t2:

4 Likes

Being perceived nice is a good thing if it is done to the right person. When you are being nice because for the sake of being nice then you are setting yourself up to be taken advantage of. People will sense this about you and will lose respect for you. Your value as a person goes down and you will be used for whatever they dump on you.

the importance here is to understand what your needs are and that of the other person. Do they expect you to be nice to them just because …or is it what they need and you can offer this to them. Is this something you want to give to the person that needs it?

I think in these times we have to evolve constantly to meet the expectations of others in business for example. That is if you want to grow your wealth, you have to know what others expect and desire. Not part of your question but I do think it is important to realize that, if you understand them you can get them… and if you can get them you can get rich.

edit sorry @AlexanderGraves didn’t want to quote you but respond to the topic.

3 Likes

The Golden Rule and much of the success literature got me in trouble. That’s not the belief/mindset that most people have. But if you want to live the lives everybody else is just do what they do. So I got to be a bit of an outcast just due to an aversion to shallowness and the kind of fluff most people are into.

The Platinum Rule is where it’s at. It’s to treat other how they want to be treated. My idea of respect is just being left alone and I found that people don’t like that. They like the shallow, fluff so if you’re in sales you’ve got to cater to that and learn to enjoy it. But having raised myself on many of the successful people in the past it’s been a challenge to drop all my ideals and just adapt to what most people like.

The talk softly and carry a big stick and but it still works you just have to learn how to listen and let other people do most of the talking. that’s written in How to Win Friends and Influence People. Also I think it says don’t make others wrong or don’t tell them they’re wrong or something. But I found that most people would rather have you tell them they’re wrong because nowadays many people are programmed for the arguments and the battle of egos. I’d just have no reaction and stay in that great feeling place without reacting but people absolutely didn’t like that so they used to try and knock me down so they could feel like they won something. When they could have all the good feelings right now too but they’re not open to that. So if you’re into dropping ego then you could get into trouble there if you’re not willing to play the ego game, that’s what happened for me also.

I just got into Neville Goddard’s stuff and it’s straight forward and it’s great stuff. Also listened to some Earl Nightingale yesterday and I like his talks as well. Also Joseph Murphy. I’m finding that these older guys were the best and nowadays many people are just students of theirs.

2 Likes

hey bro I strongly suggest watching this…

lots inside about our best selling hero… Napoleon Hill

2 Likes

I understand that this was about Napoleon Hill as it is in the title. I just wanted to post this about Neville Goddard, he kind of says the same thing.

2 Likes

This is me, when I eventually complained about it I was told to just turn the other cheek, fml :sweat:

2 Likes

i watched an ad yesterday about a new movie called think and grow rich

saw its rating on imdb it ahs 8.1/10 but only 100 reviewrs, ill be watching it very soon

since i havent read the book, but ive listned to the audiobook version

thought i would post this if anyone is intrested in movies

1 Like

Think and Grow Rich is a classic, regardless of whether or not Hill was a scam artist. Chapter 11 is definitely the most interesting, I implore everyone to read that part if any. Very fascinating stuff in my opinion.

1 Like

I’ve read chapter 11 a lot. I like having sex :joy:

1 Like

:joy: Who doesn’t?

That’s what precisely makes the chapter so interesting, especially given the way society treats and views sex nowadays.

3 Likes

I just thought of something and it’s so simple. One of the main things all the gurus and mystics and success people agree on is that you are what you think. It’s said in many different ways. Also repetition. What’re we doing? Listening to subs. Programming through repetition. There’s afformations or askfirmations as they’re sometimes called and normal affirmations. Also there’s the channeling our energies, transmuting them into actions. Then there’s the thing where you want meditation or quiet time as many great minds said they got their best ideas shaving, in the shower, when they weren’t consciously thinking about their “problem” or goal.

1 Like

Yup absolutely agree with you there, one of the main reasons why I started subliminals. Affirmations are a lot more powerful than we think, and that’s what listening to subs technically are.