Forex, equipment for automated trading 24/7

For fellow traders.
I would like to start my automated forex trading system so I need to have opened One Chrome tab, one simple application, and MT4 24/7

I am deciding between VPS and a mini computer (with windows) which will be running 24/7.

And I do not know what is better, whether to pay monthly for VPS and if yes what configuration of CPU/RAM would you suggest or instead buy my own equipment (already looking at some mini PCs between 130-180 Eur - Intel NUC for example. Do not want to raspberry Pi due to absenting windows and do not want to toy with installing on it.)

By the way, my current stack is EOG st1, QL st1 + Custom (DR st1 + EF st1).

I’ve never gotten into forex (though I’ve considered it), but I do run software in the cloud… and I’d choose that over physically self-hosting any day. Maintenance and uptime is someone elses responsibility (and most VPS providers will give uptime guarantees, just do your homework).

I have gigabit internet through our cable provider but I live in a residential area and the speed does vary throughout the day. Both internet and power outages are very rare here (only 2 or 3 in 10+ years) but if I were running something crucial on it, I’d definitely want it in a secure data center with redundant supplies and connections.

It would SUCK to miss a trade and lose a ton of money simply because Neighbor Jimbob decided he was a lumberjack and took down the street’s power lines with a falling tree.

Unless you’re just playing, the potential gains from successful trades will far exceed the monthly cost of a VPS, so I wouldn’t try to pinch pennies.

Long-term reliability > short-term cost savings.

Just my 2c. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah I 100% agree, just get a VPS and save yourself the headache. The specs you require are so minimal that it almost seems ridiculous to dedicate a PC just for that, and you’ll have your bot up and running in a few hours max.

2 Likes

You convinced me, I’ll take mini pc.