Cliff Booth in Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

I am not sure how many have seen it and I won’t give any spoilers but I found Cliff Booth to be a compelling, though flawed, model for masculinity in the new Quentin Tarantino film, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

He is not particularly successful in career or financially, but he is a man who is very solid and perceptive when necessary, and handles himself unflinchingly in crisis.

He is maybe more Spartan Warrior than Emperor or Khan.

The character was supposedly based on real life Hollywood stuntman Hal Needham.

4 Likes

Yes, while I wasn’t the biggest fan of the movie, I loved Cliff Booth as a character and the raw masculinity and fearlessness he possessed.

I personally think Tarantino was making more of a statement about modern culture than any kind of analysis of past Hollywood.

Case in point, the pretentious little girl that lectured him. Seems like she was a stand in for a very particular type of person…

5 Likes

I keep thinking Cliff is the embodiment of the “Rogue” archetype.

1 Like

Is there a subliminal of cliff booth?

1 Like

He would be a great model for one.

I got all excited but realized I misread that as " Cliff Burton "

1 Like

I can recall going to the witches grave at Loon Lake Cemetery near Jackson, Mn. In the early 90s. Someone had created a shrine to Cliff Burton in the graveyard.

Loon Lake Cemetery

Also In another metal connection, Dave Ellefsen from Megadeath is from Jackson and wrote a song about the Cemetery.

1 Like

Mary Jane https://g.co/kgs/s2cuuy