Best advice you have ever received?

What is something you were told that still sticks with you now?

4 Likes

I’d say
“If you know you’re onto something but everyone disagree, keep pushing, even if you end up on your own, people don’t like success and seeing that, in fact the only things that retain them from living their best life is not some obscur external entity but themselves”

I think both of my parents told me that in their own way, plus as someone naturally different (yeah just my hair color) I was trained to not care being alone or laughed at

and thanks to that even weird ass idea like subs amongst many other things have stick with me until today and plus they’ve been proved to work by my own experience wich is invaluable (not only subs)

Can’t wait to transmit that fire to my children when I’ll have some :grin:
And see them grow in their own way

3 Likes

What about you @James ?
:hugs:

1 Like

My mother always told me that I can achieve anything in life. Also, that death is the only problem that doesn’t have a solution.

This doesn’t mean that things will come without effort or that I should feel entitled to get anything I want. All she wanted to do is make sure I don’t have any self-limiting beliefs.

Many parents try to protect their children by preventing disappointments, but they do so by putting limiting beliefs into their heads. Even if well-intentioned, this may end up being a self-fulfilling prophecy that limits children’s potential.

4 Likes

I just deleted my last comment because it was irrevelant to James question.

@Ichiban don’t you think that the feeling of being entitled may set you up for a huge dissapointment ?

That’s why I said that it doesn’t mean that I should feel entitled to get anything I want.

That’s the distinction. She made sure I understood that I have to put in the work and fight for what I want. There are no assurances, but also you gotta keep an open mind that everything is achievable to make sure that at least you try.

Also, I’d much prefer to be disappointed after trying than keep wishing I had tried but didn’t.

5 Likes

@Ichiban i appreciate you clarifying your perspective thanks.

1 Like

Don’t eat the yellow snow.

I know, I know. But…it is concise, to the point, and it is actually good advice if you think about it. It’s stuck with me to the extent that it’s the very first thing I tell people when asked for generic advice….it’s always fun to see the first facial expression. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Who told you that ahahahaha
That’s a master of fine art

1 Like

When anything goes wrong or not according to plan, a mentor in scouting always said “all part of the adventure, no extra charge.”

Biggest thing that I hear in my head to this day.

4 Likes

It’s a song by Frank Zappa. Still to this date my most memorable piece of advice, and indeed a master of fine art.

2 Likes

My dad always told me growing up if you say you’ll do something make sure you do it. Otherwise be honest with whoever you’re talking to. People land themselves in more trouble promising on things they can’t deliver vs being honest about what can be done.

1 Like

If there’s anything you’d regret not doing, do it as soon as possible.

I spent pretty much all my early 20’s travelling or saving up the money to travel, so that noone could stop me from having travelled when I was 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, or 80.

4 Likes

Nature is the best teacher

You are valuable.

Learned that in my youth from a mentor, but only understood the full meaning much later.

4 Likes

Best advice:

Self love is the best love

1 Like

“Don’t be an idiot” Changed my life
41148e9e-c179-4981-93fe-d1e81d5f19ad

4 Likes

You’re either a smart fella or a fart smella