Anger? What do we do?

But of course you have to be careful because just a step and you’re on the dark side of force. :wink:
Anakin Learns Palpatine Is The Sith Lord [1080p] - YouTube

1 Like

Free-floating anger?

Anger directed at a person? At a situation?

1 Like

Both.
Situation and person

1 Like

When anger hits me I try to tell myself; C’mon, ain’t you to old for this crap. :rofl:

It works.

9 Likes

That’s a good one :slight_smile:

I like the mirror exercise. Just stand in front a mirror and be angry at your own reflection. Doing that long enough always ends up with me laughing at myself for how silly I look.

If you can laugh at yourself, then nobody can hold what you just laughed about at yourself against you. Humor is such a divine quality, it’s truly liberating.

8 Likes

I would say for me it’s to analyze the “Why” aspect of why you’re angry. While I do think just letting out the anger in some way is great, knowing thyself is an even better way to make use of it. So the best thing to do would be

1. Realize you’re feeling the emotion of anger (you are not anger itself, you are merely “wearing it”). A good clinical exercise I’ve read is to say internally, “I am feeling the emotion of anger”. Feel the emotions in your body. Observe it. (You’d be surprised how many people say, I’M ANGRY to someone yet continue to be angry without finding a way to resolve it peacefully) Continue to be mindful of the sensation, the intensity will be lower as well as fade much faster as you are mindful of it. Overtime this becomes a warning sign to you that you’re feeling this emotion, allowing you to avoid escalating it.

2. Inspect why you are feeling this emotion. What triggered you to have this emotion? If nothing external triggered you, is it a thought? What are you angry about? Oftentimes, when you’re angry the initial thought that triggered you chains it together with other thoughts. Usually, as that goes on the thoughts become more and more emotional. That too is useful to inspect.

For example, "Why did he lie to me? I trusted him! For fuck’s sake, I shouldn’t have supported him all this while. (Now you’re reminded of something else) Yeah, just like when that bitch stole my money. Can’t believe she did that. God fucking damn it. (Continuous escalation) Everyone is a fucking liar! Can’t trust any of these goddamn pieces of -

or

1. If you have trouble regulating your emotions, it’s better to just continuously observe the sensations until you calm down.

2. Once you’ve done that, you understand the why of what angered you. Now you have something to work with once you’re no longer angry. Write it down in your journal. If all you’ve managed is to calm down, that’s great too since being overly emotional can be destructive at times.

Note: Not a doctor/psychologist. Some of this is from what I’ve read in a DBT workbook and my own thoughts on what you can do.

4 Likes

This is a great thread @pacman! This has become quite relevant for me as I’ve been running Khan ST2.

1 Like

Anger is one of the worst emotions, intensely powerful. The ability to contain such immense surge of emotional energy is a great feat of strength. The most difficult for me to transmute, but I’m getting better at it.

The possibility of anger stemming from physiological and psychological masculine traits (testosterone) can make it more troublesome to control, even worse from an outta whack estrogen levels, which is the usual culprit of roid rage, contrary to popular belief of elevated T.

I found that cold water, showers and splashes to the head can be helpful, like a cold jolt to the system. Taking it out on a punching bag, a faceless dummy, weights, a concrete brick, drums or anything that can’t sue you for damage is a good idea imo :wink:

Once you calm down and get a moment of clarity, it’ll get easier to identify the cause and work on it.

4 Likes

Yes. And also the resistance to having anger is even worse than the thing you are angry at. Sometimes one has to let go of the resistance to the resistance itself.

But pure anger can be absolutely beautiful also when it’s just that, spontaneous and temporary. Just watch a small child, he’s angry for twenty seconds and then let’s go of it, gets it out of his system, and is all of a sudden happy again, or some other emotion.

Or watch two birds fighting each other. Bam, bam, they settle it. And after you see them part and flap their wings hard for a couple of seconds to release the tension still there. Or watch primates after the danger has passed, they use laughter as a way of getting rid of the excess tension.

But as adults we go on pushing it down, hiding it, being far-sighted and cunning about it. We pollute it, and without a pressure valve like on a cooker, we explode and things get ugly fast.

3 Likes

That’s how I do it.

I absolutely destroy my punching bag at home. Pure, fiery angry hits that thing for a minute.

After that, I feel great again. Energy needs to flow.

2 Likes

Ideally:

I want to know what the emotion is trying to tell me about the situation.

I want to see what I can do about the situation.

After that, I may exercise, weep, talk it out.

Anger is a challenging one.

But my understanding of anger is that it’s largely about boundaries and our deep sense of where things belong and how things should be. When that gets violated, our natural and appropriate response is anger, which is the energy of moving things back to where we think they should be.

So when I am angry or I see someone else angry, my first thought is to look for the perceived violation. (Perceived being the operational word.)

4 Likes

Mhm, just running for a while like a madman, especially up-hill usually helps as well to tire the brain out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@pacman can you turn your anger into determination and then direct your attention to an objective?

1 Like

Will definitely start practicing that.

I see anger as the emotion of change, worth, and assertiveness

Anger comes when it’s time for a change, time to stop tolerating something and respect your own worth, and/or time to be assertive about what you can address to get your needs met.

there’s anger that is an appropriate response to a situation-this anger can be channeled to focus, drive, determination, or assertive action.

someone is insulting, disrespectful - set a boundary -if they still want to win at your expense, walk away, if they come after you still that is when it is appropriate to be aggressive imo

if you say you can’t walk away from the situation, you might be angry about your lack of choice or freedom in life- get assertive about creating choice and freedom in your life etc.

anger that is not relevant or appropriate to the situation, often can be addressed with the above as well- but if it is like a reactive trigger from the past-family member stuff, existential etc your’re irritated at everything/life- that’s when it goes into either a healthy channel like working out/sports or the inner personal world/work of how you deal with trauma, meaning making, context and views of life etc. That’s beyond the scope of what I’m writing now.

3 Likes

Within the context of subliminal-related anger, there are 2 major possibilities:

1. The audio volume may be too loud, and
    it comes across as “shouting at you” – to your subconscious mind;

2. You are rejecting some/most of the script because it is
    A. impossible to execute in your current reality, or
    B. incongruent with your natural expression.

Case 1 is easy. Lower the volume. :smiley:

In case of 2A, switch to, or stack a more foundational title, that your reality offers more Readiness to execute.

Of course, if the “obstructing reality” is just a temporary situation, pause the playing for a few days. Resume when things are normal. Eg: When one is sick, or there are renovations going on, etc. :wink:

In case of 2B, I suggest discontinuing that product. Learn from the self-knowledge you got from this experience, and switch to a more aligned product.

Eg: @Meng123 and @Simon who’s Creative Expression does NOT come from Emotions, have a hard time with Renaissance Man. (Personally, I don’t even know what it means to “channel your emotion into something.”) :blush:

OTOH, a friend of mine really enjoys RM, because it was Ascension (/AM/EQ) that he never could fully BE. Anger was routine for him on those titles.

Last, but not the least…

Remember those Snickers’ ads, and…

Open Bounty!

:joy:

5 Likes

That’s why I’m on Ascension now to build the foundation and set up basic habits.

2 Likes

@pacman

I would encourage you to re-read what @Simon and @Azriel posted.

1 Like

How would you know if I have already done that?

I don’t. :sunglasses:

1 Like