ADHD: Superpower or Different Operating System

I have seen an uptick in things trending towards neurodiversity. Out of this new movement, there are quite a bit of people that say it’s a superpower and others say it’s a difficult thing to live with. Another way I have heard it explained that it is a different operating system than the rest of the world is using.

Is calling something like ADHD a superpower detrimental or positive for those that have it. On one hand it’s good to feel that your differences with the rest of the world is a positive thing, but at the same time this gives more ammunition to people that say “ADHD isn’t real,” “It’s in your head,” or my personal favorite “You are using ADHD as an excuse.” It could be just a neutral thing, it is what it is.

I personally like the narrative of its a superpower, because harnessed properly and treated properly there are some serious advantages to hyperfixation when controlled or being able to focus on 20 things at once, or thinking 20 different strategies and steps down the road as long as it doesn’t lead to analysis paralysis.

At the same time many of the things I accomplished I feel I did despite my ADHD and parts of it really make things difficult.

Also despite having advantages the drawbacks are nasty enough that you need to seek professional and biochemical help.

After all of that ADHD nonsense, what I am asking. Is embracing ADHD as a superpower a good thing, bad thing or just different?

2 Likes

I like to call it a superpower

2 Likes

Academically there was a negative impact but once I understood what was going on with me I was able to learn how to cope with it and in some ways use it to my advantage. Now it’s my superpower because I can see multuple outcomes and solutions scenarios playing out in my head at super speed my brain/ mind is always multitasking it is exhausting at times but the key is to breathe and try to slow things down a bit or block out or push aside the the thoughts that don’t serve me or are not of any importance. Sometimes when I write or speak things don’t come out clear cause I have a thousand thoughts racing at once so I feel I have to hurry up and get out what I’m saying before I forget . But it’s somthing that I’m learning to work with and control on a constant basis. Same with anxiety and depression I think they could all be used as a superpower if you look at the glass half full instead of half empty I am a spiritual person and with learning to connect with my higher self I have learned that these issues are gifts not weaknesses when i realized this i was able to get rid of the guilt shame, embarrassment and victim mentality. I started realizing my depression and anxiety were coming from me being an empath feeling others people’s energy becoming overwhelmed by others energy or feeling what they feel. I noticed that when I was alone I was balanced but when I’m around others mostly large crowds I’m bombarded with lots of energies that is why I got certified in reiki so I could learn how to guard my aura and build and protect my energy it has helped me a lot and knew day I hope that I can help others do the same.

1 Like