Your favourite fiction books

I’m sure Wile E Coyote would be comforted to know he was a master at something. :slight_smile:

I’ve been meaning to read Shannara. Still haven’t watched the TV series because they did that annoying thing where they said they would be shopping elsewhere and I didn’t want to watch two seasons now only to have completely forgotten them when suddenly another season pops up. If you’re going to cancel, make it definitive…

Personally, I think TV series should no longer do cliffhangers at all. They get cancelled far too easily in the age of disgusting reality TV. I dislike having an open storyline where I will never find out what the writers had planned.

King brings up another one, Ken Follett. I remember seeing the TV miniseries for Pillars of the Earth, and have been in awe of the time and work it has taken people to build cathedrals and such. Good story too. And the final scene in that miniseries was awesome. Although it reminded me of Merlin.

I did read Narnia, but at some point it felt a bit like it was pushing a religious thing on me, didn’t like that. Interesting though, albeit sad.

I mean Narnia was all about pushing religion through fantasy. Aslan’s whole essence and the ending. It is what it is.

When I was in grade school I read the Dark is Rising series, and loved it. I think it also has a grand good vs evil flavor without the direct Christian connection.

1 Like

I have a trained resistance to forms of manipulation and indoctrination. Which I feel a pressure on my body and head when watching commercials, I get fidgety when somebody tries to hypnotize me and religious people tell me how things are (and why subs need more time).

Narnia reminded me too much of how certain religions view certain things. The connection was too evident for me to feel comfortable. The other books I mentioned phrase it as part of a fictional culture/religion/philosophy which somehow makes it better. I can take something out of it or not.

It’s been a long time since I read Narnia, so I can’t specify what it was about the writing style that snared me. Nor does it really matter. The story was still nice.

PS This is now one of my favorite threads, more reading inspiration!

I wonder if people that listen to subs also have certain book-tastes in common.

Anyone read The Power Broker?

2 Likes

I have seen the book on Ryan Holiday’s reading list. And I forgot about it. I just went back on it thanks to your post, I am on the first chapters and this guy was incredible, but really cold as fuck. Interesting also to have a picture of New York at these times.

I am surprised no one has mentioned The Little Prince yet. Anyway I read the book when I was a teenager, but found the themes hard to understand. But something motivates me to go and re-read it. Perhaps I may find some new insights.

1 Like

I still remember about the boy who loved Turkish Delights in Narnia. I had never heard about Turkish Delights until I watched the film.

But the idea of moving into another alternate reality by just entering a wardrobe and living there for dozens of years is so fascinating.

The kids didn’t have to spend time like us learning how to visualize, lucid dream, meditate, chant mantras, perform rituals, visit hypnotherapists, wear high-quality headphones, use crystals, raise vibrations, decalcify the pineal gland, clear limiting beliefs, rewire our brains, unblocking their chakras etc just to get to into the reality they want.

1 Like

I do love it. I had to read it in French in HS so that was extra fun.

I’ve had a few Turkish delight experiences because of the Narnia books. Unless made well it’s a shit treat. :joy:

I’ll take a good pate de fruit, or marron glacée any day

I am really hoping that the Queen of England will write her memoirs before she passes.

Her life story will be very very interesting.

Oh perhaps if she’s not going to write her memoirs, then I have to settle for finishing the entire series of The Crown…

Filled with sex and violence–in and out of time and space–the three books of The Illuminatus are only partly works of the imagination. They tackle all the coverups of our time–from who really shot the Kennedys to why there’s a pyramid on a one-dollar bill.

4 Likes

Stephen King’s collaborations with Peter Straub, “The Talisman” and “Black House” (the first one especially) hold a special place in my heart. The whole Dark Tower series does too, but particularly “Wizard and Glass”.

Ben Bova’s Orion series inspired me a lot in my high school years. I’m half inclined though not to read the final instalment in this series, Orion and King Arthur, because it sounds like a major disappointment compared to the old books.

Robert R McCammon’s “Swan Song” - this is worth the investment of time!! “Once upon a time, we had a love affair with fire” is as timeless a first line as “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed”. The prose is brutally realistic and you’ll probably have nightmares about it, but trust me, its worth it to stick with it.

Theodore J Nottingham’s The Final Prophet was a little proselytizing but worthwhile to read. I still haven’t read the rest of the books in this series.

Finally, a quote from McCammon’s Boy’s Life (from the GoodReads page). I remember a lot of McCammon’s work spoke to me.

“You know, I do believe in magic. I was born and raised in a magic time, in a magic town, among magicians. Oh, most everybody else didn’t realize we lived in that web of magic, connected by silver filaments of chance and circumstance. But I knew it all along. When I was twelve years old, the world was my magic lantern, and by its green spirit glow I saw the past, the present and into the future. You probably did too; you just don’t recall it. See, this is my opinion: we all start out knowing magic. We are born with whirlwinds, forest fires, and comets inside us. We are born able to sing to birds and read the clouds and see our destiny in grains of sand. But then we get the magic educated right out of our souls. We get it churched out, spanked out, washed out, and combed out. We get put on the straight and narrow and told to be responsible. Told to act our age. Told to grow up, for God’s sake. And you know why we were told that? Because the people doing the telling were afraid of our wildness and youth, and because the magic we knew made them ashamed and sad of what they’d allowed to wither in themselves.

After you go so far away from it, though, you can’t really get it back. You can have seconds of it. Just seconds of knowing and remembering. When people get weepy at movies, it’s because in that dark theater the golden pool of magic is touched, just briefly. Then they come out into the hard sun of logic and reason again and it dries up, and they’re left feeling a little heartsad and not knowing why. When a song stirs a memory, when motes of dust turning in a shaft of light takes your attention from the world, when you listen to a train passing on a track at night in the distance and wonder where it might be going, you step beyond who you are and where you are. For the briefest of instants, you have stepped into the magic realm.

That’s what I believe.

The truth of life is that every year we get farther away from the essence that is born within us. We get shouldered with burdens, some of them good, some of them not so good. Things happen to us. Loved ones die. People get in wrecks and get crippled. People lose their way, for one reason or another. It’s not hard to do, in this world of crazy mazes. Life itself does its best to take that memory of magic away from us. You don’t know it’s happening until one day you feel you’ve lost something but you’re not sure what it is. It’s like smiling at a pretty girl and she calls you “sir.” It just happens.

These memories of who I was and where I lived are important to me. They make up a large part of who I’m going to be when my journey winds down. I need the memory of magic if I am ever going to conjure magic again. I need to know and remember, and I want to tell you.”

1 Like

I love that quote. It reads like something I would post after somebody asks me a simple question like “How’s the weather?” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am looking to read novels about businesses /business men / people starting their business /

Is there novels like this ?! :thinking: And if so recommendation please ,

Thanks in advance :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I recommend this one. It’s a novel about capital allocation. Or at least the writer tries to pass the message across in the form of a novel.

2 Likes

And if you are interested in postwar Japanese business fiction…

1 Like

Otherwise Arthur Hailey and Stephen Frey are authors to check out whsn it comes to business fiction.

2 Likes

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Not that I think it is particularly well written.

On a general note just be aware that this is fine for entertainment but you really won’t learn much about business.

3 Likes

Stanislav Lem, almost all books. Such a wonderful writer. Sadly, he died.

1 Like

Harry Potter, Witcher, and Wheel of Time series.

2 Likes