What is your listening setup?

After this post from @Simon it got me wondering what the listening setup is like for everyone here.

I’ll put down what I have to show what I’m working with and see if anyone has similar.

My audio interface I use. I like Audient because their converters are top notch. I have no idea how clarity in the signal chain effects subliminals, but I know with my music I rely on this to get an accurate representation sent to my monitors. Bad converters are like a weak link in the chain.

These guys have been with me a while. Super flat, very dynamic. Before I had my studio monitor speakers I would make all my music on these. Been listening on these for the past few months.

Wondering now if my increased sensitivity to amount of loops over the course of a week is related to my listening setup.

2 Likes

I use Sony MDRXB550AP. They’re the best I’ve ever used, and I worked in a high-end Hi-Fi store for some time a few years back, so I have some experience with expensive headphones. These are not expensive – just $50, and cover all I need.

The DAC and amp matter too, as you said. My current laptop (an old HP Envy 17) has much better sound than my old EliteBook 2560p.

I’d be surprised if this is any more than a placebo effect. Or maybe disappointed, because I don’t want it to matter. :smiley:

2 Likes

Apple Airpods. Last gen. Works great.

And yes, listening setup does matter, but in my experience, not enough to merit spending a ton of money to switch it up. We just tested another batch of headsets and earbuds. Will update the listening setup article soon.

9 Likes

With regular mp3 subs right?

I stopped using my Airpods and switched to the wired Earpods because the bluetooth didn’t have the bandwidth for FLAC.

But now I am not even using FLAC subs haha but I stuck with my lightning connector Earpods.

2 Likes

Regular apple iPhone earbuds with cord.

I had used a cool headphone in the past but the differemce is minimal.

My wife even uses the phone speakers.

2 Likes

The equipment I use is a Galaxy S9 with Sony wh-1000xm3 headphones.
BT in LDAC mode to get the highest possible transfer rate of 990 kBit/s. But atm i didnt use flac so its more than enough for the mp3 files. Some days I just use the headphones that came with the phone. Works well too.

1 Like

Samsung Galaxy S21+ with Status Between Pro earbuds. Sometimes if i’m at work, I’ll use my Bluetooth skullcandy earbuds. I listen to mp3 files, not flac. Works great either way.

1 Like