The effects of brainwaves on subliminals

This is my opinion, but when I’ve run theta frequencies, I became very relaxed, almost sleepy. Theta waves could be used as a sedative

3 Likes

Actually, one of the effects of frequent brainwave entrainment is to train yourself to enter consciously into other frequencies. As you use those states more often, the drowsiness goes away. Eastern monks can enter theta and even delta while remaining completely alert and focused.

I’ve noticed a similar effect myself when entering theta, it completely shuts off the distractions in my mind and gives me laser sharp focus. I feel completely relaxed and certainly won’t go exercising intensely in that state, but it definitely appears to help with studying and problem-solving if I direct it that way. Or walking for hours (which brainwaves are we in when we experience highway hypnosis?) I’m sure it has esoteric benefits as well (if you believe Theta Healing as a thing).

However, it probably isn’t very healthy to stay in that state for long periods of time. We are meant to naturally experience brainwaves states throughout the day. People that are theta-dominant are more prone to depression (theta enhances emotional states) and ADHD like symptoms (theta encourages daydreaming, intuition and creativity, it takes effort to keep from drifting off).

So if you use it on your subliminals while listening to those for hours every day, it would likely do more harm than good.

I myself intend to get a decent Windows tablet so I can run multiple players side-by-side wherever I am, one for the subs and others for things like binaurals. That way, I can go into alternate brainwave states only when it feels right.

2 Likes

Because they are using Gamma waves at the same time. You cannot enter a full theta or delta state while being consciously awake in the physical world.

I would say Beta is the most depressing state as it creates lots of stress and anxiety. Most people are to much into Beta and should by more often in Alpha. Theta is the a kid is in for the first 7 years of there lives, they’re dreamy, happy, shining with light and love.

I don’t need Binaural Beats anymore to access different states. I use my breathing and intention in order to get into Alpha or Theta but Binaural Beats still help entraining your brain.

1 Like

Nobody is ever in a “full” state I think. We always have all states going on. So at best we achieve a dominant state. I can’t tell you if I’m using gamma, what I can tell you is that after I went into that state often enough using entrainment, I was able to keep my focus without falling into a deep trance.

The fact that kids are dominant in the lower states has also been theorized as the reason why they are so good at learning languages. Learning a language is a creative pursuit, something theta is good at.

If that is also the reason why they are dreamy and happy is doubtful. People tend to be like that until the world starts piling up responsibilities, swamp them with all the bad news and tell them just how small the impact of their life is.

Excessive beta causes anxiety, arousal, inability to relax and stress, but not depression as far as I know. But there’s a lot I don’t know…

3 Likes

Basically we use 100% of our brain, 95% subconsciously and 5% consciously on average.

100% energy current being used within the brain, each current of energy vibrating at a different frequency (brainwave states) ranging from delta and lower to gamma and higher. As you know we have a left and right sided brain each of which has different brain parts used for processing different kinds of information. The total sum of this would be your brainwave state a culmination of all of these parts being active to a certain extend (energy) at a various brainwave frequency (vibration).

These various brainwave states can change by using both internal and external stimuli and can be checked by an EEG scan. When taking a drug for example your brainwave state would be ordinary from what’s natural, changing your view of reality and your perception of it.

Alcohol changes brainwave patterns very strongly in your prefrontal cortex and amygdala which are responsible for emotion, judgement, decision making, etc. No wonder social interactions get easier, right?

Well the main reason for depression is stress, all kinds of stress. Whether it is financial, social, emotional, physical, it doesn’t matter, it’s always caused by unnatural stress. But yeah I agree children don’t have much responsibilities and so these stresses don’t really occur but they would be way better in handling them as they are running on theta all the time.

1 Like

What’s the current consensus on the most effective frequency to pair with SubClub audios? Theta waves as the general frequency, but any audio recommendations?

1 Like

Generally true for men, isn’t it? :wink:

Digging up this old thread because I am still curious about this.

I use an app to meditate, it’s called brainFM.
It also has focus and sleep/relaxation, I.e. setting up the specific frequencies.

What are you guys using for meditative states or even changing brainwaves?

@Malkuth

You meditate on the subs. I assume your meditation affects your brain frequencies?

I’ve been wondering what it means that you meditate on the subs. What type of meditation?

I really should start meditating, but again it’s something that I feel resistance to.

i’m passionate about this, but I also don’t want to go on and on. So, I usually just settle for terse flippancy.

will try to express it more completely:

i meditate to face reality.

some people worry that meditating is escaping from reality.

i think it’s the closest we get to reality.

1. every event in your life has been an experience
  2. every experience has ultimately been a conglomerate of sensations
  3. sensations are generated by the nervous system and ordered by/as mind

Hence,

• to face reality we need to contend with the nervous system and mind

i’ve listed it out as if it’s an orderly logical argument. it’s definitely not that simple. but that’s just a concise way to express. and it does do a half-decent job.

ritualized meditation is over-rated. Hunters and trackers meditate. Cats meditate. Bird watchers meditate.

Intentional, focused attention. It’s used all over nature and by many people.

The only thing that’s different here is the ultimate purpose: to turn that attention back upon itself.

If you’ve ever watched movies in a movie theatre, at some point you may have gotten curious and turned around to see the projector. If you had access, you may have been allowed into the projection room to see the celluloid (back in the past) or the digital equipment (if we’re looking at it now).

Then you might have gotten interested in how those images were captured on film in the first place and visited movie sets.

Eventually, you might enjoy remembering all of this even while you returned to your original activity of enjoying a movie.

That’s one of the ways of contextualizing meditation.

Doesn’t particularly matter if you’re sitting on a cushion with a buzz cut. If you have a dreamy look in your eyes and don’t ever cut your hair. Or anything else.

It’s rigorous(sometimes) subjective exploration of the nature of experience. However you go about it, if it results in insight, then it’s good meditation. walking swimming singing yelling dancing visualizing acting improvising sitting eyes-closed eyes-open

all good.

lately, i’ve been listening closely to music. and trying to observe the system generating the experience of listening to music. :rofl:

okay, enough rhapsodizing.

short answer: seems to decrease disruptive reconciliation.

shorter answer: still investigating

7 Likes

Coughs as he wipes the cobwebs from the thread.

In yoga, the corpse pose (Savasana) is considered the most important pose because it is a time when you reflect on the yoga session you’ve just been through and integrate it. And if it was a really intense session you can really feel the muscles tingling and working, it’s quite the experience.

You see a similar thing coming back with how memories are transferred from short term to long term memory while you sleep or how muscles grow during the rest period and not during the exercise. Or how Saint keeps telling us that subs will integrate during the rest days we don’t want to take. :slight_smile:

Similarly, they consider seated meditation the most difficult and important yoga practice because it forces you to turn inside and clean up your internal garage so to speak.

For me, meditation is still difficult to do consistently. But there are training wheels. For example, things like Tai Chi or Qigong are moving meditations that you can (and should) eventually do with your eyes closed. The movement allows you to have something to do instead of just sitting still.

If you do want to sit still, I’ve had a lot of fun with Playne, which has you start out with an empty landscape and as you meditate the trees will start growing, fireflies and weather will come back and the place will come alive. And your ability to control the environment will also unlock. Very cool, but it takes a long time to completely finish growing the landscape. As a reward, they donate a real life tree somewhere. :wink:

It’s also in VR now, but as nice as it is to be able to walk around the landscape and meditate anywhere, there’s simply not enough to it. After all, we meditate with our eyes closed and the weight of the average VR headset is not nice while meditating.

A new entry that I’m curious about is Gamitate, which supposedly teaches all kinds of techniques as challenges that you have to pass and unlock.

I’m quite certain there’s a bunch of phone apps by now as well.

Making meditation a challenge or a game makes the resistance to it a lot lower.

Another technique is to do breathing techniques. This causes more focus on the breath and in many cases stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system which is designed to put you in a relaxed state.

As far as the brainwave audios for meditation go, I’ve had a lot of success with iAwake’s PMP and several of their other products. As long as I’m not doing something that’s not too mentally complex, I can feel myself go to the point where I’m totally relaxed.

I will try one out with my EEG sometime and see if theta waves really become the dominant one while listening.

5 Likes

These two games/apps might be what I need to build the habit.

Thanks!

Edit: Did the first meditation on Playne. Also set a reminder to do it every day at 8pm.

1 Like

Not really satisfied with my response to this question.

Both my meditation journey and my current practice of meditating with Terminus subliminals are strongly guided by intuition. So, I think that makes it harder to respond.

I feel that there is something to it; and I’m aware that something is happening, but I can’t pretend to have a clear and organized sense of exactly what.

So, it’s something of an ongoing adventure.

1 Like

You have the sub playing on headphones and then you just meditate? Whatever it is that you do during the meditation?

I’ve been doing short meditations with Playne now. 20 minutes is a bit much still, but I do feel like I am progressing. There are moments when I don’t think about anything, just watching the colors and shapes that are there when I close my eyes. Sometimes there is a short flash of really sharp and detailed pictures but they dissapear as soon as I pay attention to it.

2 Likes

What instructions have you learned so far for meditation? What do you currently understand it to be?

Knowing that would help me to explain it better.

1 Like

Just quiet the mind. Nothing else. There are some nature sounds on the background. And anytime there is a thought, press the mouse button.

In the beginning, there isn’t much more. Just simple deep breathing and that’s it.

Edit: So I’m not trying to see any visuals, just to quiet the mind.

Okay.

The subjective experience of quieting the mind is a side effect of practice rather than the goal of practice. I say ‘the subjective experience’ because objectively the mind is never quieted.

It’s more that’s it gets ‘defragmented’, and so it ‘runs more quietly’ like an engine that has been well-tuned.

But the actual goal, in most cases, is to pay really close concentration to something. A particular style of paying attention is the goal. Quiet. Focused. Relaxed attention.

It’s a bit like lightly jogging with relaxed easy breathing. At first, you can only do it for 30 seconds, but gradually your endurance grows until you can jog for longer and longer times without losing your breath, and at faster and faster speeds without losing your relaxation. If someone keeps jogging like this for a long enough time eventually they may be able to jog for hours while remaining relaxed and breathing lightly.

By the time someone gets to that point, their blood pressure will be lower and their heart rate will be slower. But the blood pressure and heart rate are side-effects or consequences. They were not things you had to try to make happen. They’re just the natural effect of jogging like that over a long time.

Same with the quiet mind of meditation.

You don’t need to worry about or even think about the quiet mind. It will happen by itself. All you need to do is to direct relaxed, stable attention to an object or set of objects. Over time as you do that the concentratedness and stability of your attention gradually and automatically increases. It’s the changes in the ‘endurance’ of attention that produce the benefits and consequences of practice.

So, meditation is basically attention-training.

It actually doesn’t matter at all if your mind is busy or even if you make a lot of noise. Is all about the training of relaxed focused attention.

And when I say relaxed, I mean relaxed like an athlete’s body. Not weak and limp, but rather at the optimal balance between tension and relaxation that will allow the most efficient movement for the longest period of time.

How do you react to this definition?

4 Likes

With rage? :smiley:

Okay, that sounds pretty simple. Like staring at a candle for extended times? And forgot to mention that you are supposed to just concentrate on your breathing. But now it’s obvious when you describe it like that.

Most beginners learn to focus on their breath leaving and entering their nose. There’s a sensation where it enters your nose where the air passes the skin. You can do that.

You can also combine it with a microcosmic type of meditation. As you breathe in, let your focus move from your perineum up your spine to the top of your head, as you breathe out, move your attention down again along the from side of your body.

If you’re into it, you can do it in parts, moving from chakra to chakra.

Or you can breathe into an area of the body. Many people like breathing in through their heart. Just imagine you’re pulling the air in through there, collecting in your heart. And on the out-breath imagine the air dispersing throughout your body from your heart,

The important part is to find something singular. Just one thing you can focus on, even if it is a thought (like an image of a lake or a pretty woman). When something else pops up, don’t act on it, just become aware of it and then re-focus on your one thing. Over time, your mind gets the message.

When you get better at visualization, you can even put all those thoughts that pop up into a little box in front of you and you’ll notice they stay there until you’re done. It’s what Monroe does I believe.

But, back to the beginning, I usually simply feel the air moving in and out of my nose. After a while you’re barely paying attention to it anymore but it still keeps the other thoughts away most of the time. And that is the quiet mind state everybody talks about.

EDIT: I’ve actually done that meditation with a woman before, while she was meditating opposite me. I was visualizing her, she was visualizing me. After about 5-10 minutes we could definitely feel something. There are people who can do that while cultivating a sexual intent. That one’s fun. But it only works if you can maintain your focus without getting carried away by said sexual intent. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That is kind of awesome.

The point above is a kind of subtle distinction but it leads to a lot of frustration for beginning meditators. They think they’re supposed to be stopping their thoughts. That’s impossible and not even desirable.

The truth is actually easier.

So that’s the most important point to make clear.

Once you know that it’s attention training, you’re in the door.

Then under that umbrella of attention training, similar to physical fitness training, there are hundreds (literally) of different possible directions to follow depending on what you are specifically pursuing.

1 Like

Literally any object or process (a process is also a type of object) can be a suitable focus of attention.

The breath is a very popular one for many good reasons. It’s cheap. It’s portable—in fact, as long as you’re alive you’ll be carrying it with you wherever you go. Its pace and its rhythms calibrate our physical and mental excitation and relaxation. So there are many good reasons to start out using the breath as an attention training object.

But it’s not for everyone.

And the truth is you can pick anything. As long as you think you’ll be able to stick with it for a long time.

This is just because you’ll need to stay with whatever it is long enough to build some attentional endurance.

I told @James once that death metal would be a possible meditation object. I wasn’t joking. I probably wouldn’t recommend it for most people though, because for most people it would probably present some unique challenges.

But I can guarantee you: if you find me a top-rate death metal musician and we view them at 30 minutes into their performance, they will definitely be meditating. Literally. This is not a metaphor. (I’m assuming that the person is performing more or less continuously during that time.)

I like to remove the stereotypes from meditation and look at the truly essential elements, rather than some cultural trappings or cosmetic features.

One more interesting example:

There’s a very effective form of meditation that is done out loud with two people. It’s called ‘dyadic verbal noting’. The people are talking for the entire time, and it predictably brings about deep states of meditative concentration.

There are a lot of ways to do this.

3 Likes