I fired someone today

@BLACKICE @Hoppa Thank you guys for talking about this. It’s helpful, grounded, and inspiring to other would-be leaders.

1 Like

I’ve been burned before. Not as bad as you, but it wasn’t fun when an agency wasted 10k euros with one recorded sale of 20 euros. This was a few years ago.

Thanks for mentioning what happened to you. Just told my team about it and it drove the importance of us keeping the project under tight surveillance really through.

3 Likes

Final outcome from this… I only recovered a small portion of the money back. I’m out a substantial sum of money and still didn’t receive any of the deliverables, and the marketplace in question was actively non-helpful in the end, despite seeming so at first.

My takeaways:

That particular marketplace, despite being very well known and popular, has utter BS policies and the most useless “mediation” I’ve ever seen. I am 100% done with them.

I’m going to be infinitely more careful with who I hire in the future, and how I manage the projects. This was an expensive way to learn that certain people should NOT be trusted.

Finally… I tried to be fair in the amount I was requesting… and that got me burned. My lesson, sad as it is… if you try to be nice, they WILL take advantage.

So… done with that. After this, I’m in Emperor mode. You want leniency? EARN IT.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

4 Likes

BOOM!

Follow-up situation, though much less drama this time…

This morning we had some construction workers show up to fix the soffits in our garage. They arrived a bit early for my liking (7:15…) but they did beautiful work and were done before noon. I came out to look at the work a few hours later and was happy, until I saw the lawn…

Those little blue-ish strips? Bits of razor-sharp aluminum… hundreds of them, all in the grass. Where my daughter plays… usually barefoot, since it’s finally summer here.

This time I didn’t get angry, I just made a phone call and said that it was extremely unprofessional to leave a job like this and that it would be cleaned up to my satisfaction. Before I got to the part about what would have happened if my daughter had found the metal before I did, promises were made to get it cleaned up ASAP.

Indeed.

6 Likes

Now that deserves a

Happy Father’s Day

for sure.

4 Likes