Headphone recommendation for summer

Hi guys,

I would to ask you guys for headphone recommendations. I am aware that there are numerous headphone questions and posts in the forum. However, I believe this question hasn’t been really asked nor answered.

“Can you recommend good headphones for summer usage?”

I am more of an In Ear type of person as I find that headphones tend to be too bulky for me for a prolonged use. However, I am noticing lately that my left ears get itchy with skins falling off. Not a good sign. Therefore, I am thinking of switching to on or over the ear headphones.

Unfortunately, I don’t know if there are good (enough) headphones that aren’t too bulky, and that don’t get too hot or too moist during when used in summer. (FYI, I don’t have access to AC in my room, and I simply can’t get an AC in the room.)

Can you recommend any headphones that meet these criteria?

Thank you in advance for your recommendations, and I apologize in advance, if I am asking a redundant question/help.

my only recommendation is if you find a real good pair of summer headphones, buy 2! There are shoes and clothing I wish I’d bought two of at least. They end up changing things and they’re just not like the best ones you’ve found. So that’s my advice when you find some that you really like buy 2.

2 Likes

The only answer is

1. Bose QuietComfort Earbuds
  2. Apple AirPod Pros

Price tag? Wired? Bass? Neutral?

If in the 300-400 you can go for @Monarch recommendation.

If under 100 bluetooth and with some bass, look for Tribit XFree and Anker Soundcore series

or have a read into this The 4 Best Noise-Cancelling Headphones of 2022 | Reviews by Wirecutter

Hey Martin,

I guess I should have given more specification. I didn’t because I didn’t think there were many that would fit the “good for summer” criteria. The thought was basically to get the recommendations, check them out and purchase the one that fits my need the most.

In terms of price range, I really didn’t give much thought, but if I must give the max range, I suppose 300~400, maybe 500 at most, if there really isn’t any option. However, I am hoping to find the one below 200, if there’s any.

In terms of sound style/type, I believe I am more inclined toward neutral sound, but I don’t really have a preference.

Wired vs bluetooth. I guess I can go either way, but am more inclined toward wired since I am first looking for the use at home with computer. (Still, I also welcome bluetooth options since I may need to get those too.)

Valkyrie,

Thank you for the reply. I already have AirPod pro, but as I wrote in the opener, I am looking for “non in-ear” types as I have recently developed itchiness in my ear canal. (Also, getting some dry skin falling off).

I have typically preferred in-ear or earbuds type ones. Besides, we don’t have to worry about ears getting hot when using earbuds.

However, given my ear condition, I think I will need to switch to non in-ear types, hence asking for the recommendations…

Might work for you. Nothing in the ear so you can be aware of your surroundings. Neutral sound, not bass heavy either.

I’m trying to decide between these and nura true. I don’t like the 6 hr battery life on nura though.

Anyways, hope this helps.

1 Like

Bose QuietComfort - over the ear then.

1 Like

Hey Geoff,

Do you know if bone conducting headphones work for subliminal listening? Also, how’s the sound leakage of the bone conducting headphones? Can people nearby you hear what you are listening?

I don’t personally own them nor have I listened myself.

I’ve seen a few members comment on using them with zero issues playing subs. As far as sound leakage, I don’t believe there is any due to the bone conduction technology. Vibrations interpreted by the brain produces sounds like seem like they came within.

Very interesting technology, I’m still deciding as most of my choices are $180 to $225.

I just wanted to throw out options I’ve seen mentioned on this forum :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was reading a bit about bone conducting headphones. Apparently, the biggest things to watch out would be headache and “motion sickness” induced from using the headphones. Since the vibration goes directly to your inner ear, it may induce motion sickness. Also, because of its unique mounting position and the pressure of the headphones it cause headache. (Well, I suppose regular headphones can also cause this.)

Additionally, there can be a sound leakage from the bone conducting headphones, but I am not sure how much leakage we can expect. Would it be more than open-cup headphones? Similar level to closed cup with high volume?

I’m planning to visit a hearing store next week. (Since I am getting a treatment for acute otitis externa I can’t visit the store this week.). Hopefully, I will be able to also check different headphones out and find good matches.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I will try to test them out.

Alright guys.
I had a chance to visit a hearing/listening store, and got a chance to test a couple of headphones.

Unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to try Bose (somebody else rented out, so wasn’t available), or the bone conducting one. (The store didn’t carry them.)

However, I found out an interesting thing about my ears and headphones. I’m gonna need the ones with really large earcups. The typical earcup size of overhead (circumaural) were not big enough for me that after some use, my left upper part of the ear hurt. (In ear dimension of 60 mm seemed a bit small).
Therefore, I’ll have to ask new questions about headphones. (Unless I am going with the bone conducting headphones.)

Anyway, thank you for the recommendations, and hopefully I will get a pair of nice comfortable headphones.

Most headphones have different ear size cup options. Bose specifically has them in their accessories department on their website.

I’d also suggest looking into Audio-technicas. They are pretty good especially for the the price.

1 Like

I just checked Bose’ accessory page, and I couldn’t find find the dimension/size of the earcups. (It seems that they don’t offer different earcup size options for the same products… They have different colors though.) Also, they seem to only offer replacement headband to their aviation series. Maybe there are aftermarket ones for consumer models.

After reading how someone had to ditch his/her Bose headphones after not being able to replace his/her headband cushion/pads, I’m also checking whether a pair of headphones’ band is replaceable (and whether it’s easy to get the replacement parts) when I’m checking out the headphones. I guess this could be a good tip for someone who’s also looking to purchase a new pair of headphones. Make sure you can get all the replacement parts easily.

“I’d also suggest looking into Audio-technicas. They are pretty good especially for the the price”

It’s funny you mentioned Audio-Technica. I joined a hi-fi community and asked the same question (earcup ones), and one person wrote back saying that he/she knows the exact model I’m looking for. ATH-WP900. The pair is a bit expensive for my taste, but the price has become the secondary issue. The primary being comfort with no ear pains.

Thank you for the comment and I will update you guys once I get a new pair.

I just got Sony1000 whxm4 and they are the best headphones I tried by far. They also have bluetooth which I really love.

But the sound is just amazing also super comfortable

1 Like

Hi lord.patrik,

I believe WH1000-MX4 is a great pair of headphones. (It’s also #1 selling Bluetooth headphone where I am at by a large margin) Unfortunately, I have my reservations against it. The reason is explained in the other thread. (I created a new one since my priority for the headphones changed)

Still, I might give it a try given the popularity.

Anyway, How are you finding the headphones in the summer? In one YouTube review of XM4 I watched predicted XM4 would be difficult to use for the summer (because of the heat and sweat.)

They´re excellent! I´ve got a pair of Aeropex and I actually think that they´re better than my Sennheiser studio phones.

1 Like

Really? That’s impressive!

I was checking out a user review of Openrun pro (the latest and the best bone conducting headphones from Shokz (formerly Aftershokz)) in one of the hi-fi communities and the person thought its sound quality is at best on par with the level of bundle earphones given in airplanes. (Of course, the review is very subjective since it didn’t really include reviews/analysis of different frequency measurements.)

Additionally, I saw a YouTube video (using subtitles since no sound) in which a doctor was saying that bone conducting headphones would typically give much less volume to your ears (inner ear, I believe) than the traditional headsets. (It first needs to go through your skin and then need to go through your bone) Considering this, it’s amazing that your result was better with Aeropex than Sennheiser studio phones.

Perhaps, it has to do with how the sound is delivered. I wonder if the vibration through the bone also goes directly to your brain that makes sub result more profound. (as opposed to typical sound wave travelling through air, which gets delivered to your ear and listening cells, which then finally gets transferred and gets delivered to your brain) Who knows.

Maybe the SubClub community and/or the SubClub owners should conduct research/experiment to find more about bone conducting headphones and subs.

This is what I think.

1 Like