Genuinely Curios about monitoring private messages and views

the private messages that i send to other people on here gets more than 2 views is that normal ?

so maybe mods and admins can check and monitor private msgs? . genuinely asking if thats a policy here?

@RVconsultant
@DarkPhilosopher
@Fire
@SaintSovereign

2 Likes

The first paragraph of this post has some discussion regarding moderators checking private messages.

2 Likes

yeah i knew about this, i understand if theres something fishy is going on theyre gonna check if something is suspicious and see their dms

but everytime though i send a pm i see more than 2 views on my message

The views tend to update often when your page refreshes, which is why the numbers tend to increase. I see it happen a lot when I open a message click back to the forum and later open the message again.

A few things of note would be:

1. The messages you refer to are NOT private messages (PM) but direct messages (DM) and as far as the forum software is concerned they are still part of the forum, but in threads which only very few users can see. Which is why you can so easily invite others into them.

For example, my own DM’s have the exact same moderator actions as this thread. I can hide them, delete them, lock them, edit posts from me and the person I’m talking to etc. However, your DM’s I can not see or moderate unless you have invited me into the thread/conversation. Only those with the role of Admin can do that. Which means only Saint and Fire as far as I know.

1. Saint and Fire are WAAAAAAAAY too busy to check your messages, and will only ever do so if you’re behaving very suspiciously on the forum. They have far too little time to themselves to start randomly checking people’s “personal” conversations.
    So, as long as you behave nicely on the forum, they have no reason to go and check your messages.

In my experience, the messages have only been checked when people were suspected of sharing their product links with other forum users, when they were openly advertising their own or competing products and when they started a campaign of ruining SubClub’s reputation and were suspected of looking for people to join them against SubClub.

Just to add, when this particular forum software became popular there was an incident where the parents of kids belonging to a local soccer club became concerned the forum was being used for grooming their kids. Hence, the forum software was changed to allow admins to check these messages when they feel it is absolutely necessary.

5 Likes

thanks for clarifying

i thought about the possibility that it just a refresh thing, and not actually people are looking at my dms or pms. since it says 7 views on my pm or dm, counting you and rv and fire and saint and me and whoever im sending the msg too would be in total of 6 not 7, but i thought i would ask since it felt weird seeing more than 2 views on my msg lol